The Focus of ALL the Attention in Life Itself

Old 09-19-2012, 04:25 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ichabod View Post
The bottom line, even if it hurts to hear it, is that you DID choose to stay with him. You didn't cause his behavior, but you chose to stay in the middle of it. He didn't make you. You didn't have to stay for the insults or the chaos. It's far easier to scream and yell about how horrible the alcoholic is than to admit that you didn't take charge of your own life and instead let him run it.

That's why Al Anon is so important. You didn't cause it, you can't control it, you can't cure it, but you can move forward from it and let the anger go.
True. Very true. This is what the 4th step is all about. I WAS a victim of this disease. It destroyed my marriage. True enough. But the victim mentality (although rooted in reality) won't help me to make things better. It will only keep me stuck. Its all about taking our power back...instead of letting our lives be guided by the winds of THIER disease, we have to set our own sails and direct our own journey. It takes time. IT takes alot of self-reflection and brutal honesty with ourselves. Sometimes its easier to stick with the tried and true method of blame and anger. I get it. I did it. And some days, I slip back into it before I even know what happened.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:25 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

This is where the anger you have is misplaced. The bottom line, even if it hurts to hear it, is that you DID choose to stay with him. You didn't cause his behavior, but you chose to stay in the middle of it. He didn't make you. You didn't have to stay for the insults or the chaos. It's far easier to scream and yell about how horrible the alcoholic is than to admit that you didn't take charge of your own life and instead let him run it.

That's why Al Anon is so important. You didn't cause it, you can't control it, you can't cure it, but you can move forward from it and let the anger go.
Says the Lady who has an oh so "functioning alcoholic" as her beloved forever and ever.

You still sound like a drunk making excuses to me.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:36 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

This is where the anger you have is misplaced. The bottom line, even if it hurts to hear it, is that you DID choose to stay with him. You didn't cause his behavior, but you chose to stay in the middle of it. He didn't make you. You didn't have to stay for the insults or the chaos. It's far easier to scream and yell about how horrible the alcoholic is than to admit that you didn't take charge of your own life and instead let him run it.

I don't scream and yell sweetheart.

Don't put what you want to do on to me. If you need to scream and yell I suggest you go and do so.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good morning! Now that everyone has had the chance to share their own perspective, I think it's time for us all to go welcome a newcomer and to share your Experiene, Strength, and hope. For now, this thread is closed.