A Spiritual Revolution!

Old 09-16-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Spiritual Revolution!

Hi,

For many of us, we look at these challenges in our lives as an opportunity to grow ourselves. To become healthier, deeper, more evolved.

I've just read and am re-reading an incredible book that is pushing my growth much further. Simple concepts that I'm finding revolutionary for me! Interesting that I started reading this right before my husband had a relapse. I'm finding my peace through this time immensely helped, by not only all the inner work I've done but by the beautiful concepts in this book. I bought it after reading the reviews on Amazon.

Thought I'd share in case anyone is looking for a new book to spur their own growth. If you're on that path and have done some work at seeing life from a new perspective - you might love this, too!

"The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself"
Michael A. Singer, Peter Berkro

**not sure SR allows links to stores, so I left for you to Google it!
Old 09-16-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would love to hear what it has taught you - what you are getting out of it - whatever your personal experience is that you would care to share. Thank you.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think this is a pretty advanced book - but maybe won't feel that way to others. It's really about living differently from a very core place. It hits on how we react in life and wait for life to be calm and settled, we demand our certain set of rules from people and circumstances in order to feel settled. When life plays by our ideal of what is "perfect" we're at peace but the rest of the time we're desperately attempting to reign in all the pieces to fit our concepts. As soon as we have one "problem" solved and feel at peace, another situation pops up that we rail against and our world tips again. Life is rarely at a resting, peaceful place. Those actual moments are far and few between.

We tumble around in our own thoughts - that if we could hear them consciously - we'd see how crazy they sound. One second we're mad, then we're not. We like this person, they say something wrong - now we don't. We're bouncing around led by thoughts that are not accurate.

The idea is to step outside of our thoughts and be objective and peaceful, not chasing them around like a dog chasing its tail. Much like what meditation teaches . . .to live from an inner core. To stay open, without fearfully guarding our playbook. Life will rarely if ever play by our 'rules'.

This book for me, is beyond just dealing with someone else's addiction, it hits on all of our life and interactions across the board.

This book has so much to say, I doubt I'm doing it justice. I'm re-reading it to absorb more of it. I have half the book highlighted at this point!! Later, when I have time I'll post some of the sentences. If you go read reviews on Amazon, you'll get more insight. You can also read part of the book -

I have a feeling that it's one of those books that people take away different messages from, depending upon their own life.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Seek, I don't think I answered your question really. Let me try -

What am I getting out of it in this situation, with the relapse in particular?

My mind starts spinning all over the place "How could he, he's ruining my life." "He has a disease, this isn't personal to me." "He's not growing." "He's grown in so many ways." "He's not doing enough." "He's been so responsible." "He's drinking." "I couldn't even tell." "I'm leaving." "I don't feel like leaving." On and on and on. Yikes. As those thoughts start spinning if I'm fully involved in them I'm suddenly in a dizzying square dance. I've lost myself in this. "I" disappear and I become "that" problem. And truthfully, that problem changes all the time. If it's not HIM, and/or addiction, it's a friend, a parent, a job, a stranger. It's life.

I'm finding it easier to stop the wheels, step out and watch my mind instead of getting tossed around by it. Watch the process I'm going through with peace. Get out of my head.

Another part of the book talks about how to leave our heart open - we close our heart to protect ourselves. To push "that" away and create a safe distance - until life is perfect again by my rules. A friend the other day said something that I felt was really hurtful. First response, my chest closed. My body tightened, my mind started spinning and I pushed back.

I was able to stop - take a deep breath. Stay open. Listen. I didn't feel the need to create a fictional safe barrier. A barrier that is built from all my many lifelong past "injuries". Not even pertaining to this one in front of me. A history of wounds playing out and knee-jerk reactions that come from the past.

The book is along the ideas of Eckhart Tolle, asking us to live here. In the present and stop some of the noise so that we can see our way through. I really appreciate that. Hope this is clearer!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have not read the book you mentioned, however, I am a big Eckhart Tolle fan. I remember reading the chapter that described the three states of living in the present. Acceptance, Enjoyment, and Enthusiasm. I remember trying it out. Just being in the moment while I was doing something mundane. Thinking I could at least be in acceptance. So, I concentrated on being present while I was folding laundry. To my surprise, I actually found myself enjoying it, lol.

I think the really great thing about this philosophy is that it can be applied in every aspect of daily life. Rather than "sitting down to clear my mind and meditate," I can just focus on being present no matter what I am doing and peace happens.

L
Old 09-16-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LaTeeDa, I totally agree. It's a "way of living". And it takes practice. Stop, change. Catch it - evolve it.

Talking about Tolle makes me want to re-read again "A New Earth". That was a life-changer. Did you ever watch him on Oprah, he want through the book. I made notes on just chapter 8 - here are some of them >

Inner purpose is when you align your life fully with the present moment so that you are no longer out of alignment with the present. Now.

Not wanting this moment to be different than it is - is to be aligned.

Align with where you are right now. What you are doing now - be total in doing it.

Be true to this moment. Give this moment your all, your fullest attention. Give this moment your best

Don't be in conflict with what you are doing now. At least bring acceptance. When you are no longer in opposition to the present you are aligned.

Your step is primary, your destination is secondary.

Life is only the now

You decide what future you're going to experience by being aligned in the present moment. That sets the stage for the future.

Worry is - repetitive negative thought patterns.

When we dwell in negativity we are going against the flow and life become hostile. We are not open to life.

What you do is not important - it is HOW you do it. Let it be fueled by you inner consciousness = or light.

When your thoughts say that you are not OK right now, they are thoughts conditioned by this culture and you don’t need to believe that it is not OK to be here and not knowing what to do next.

This is my favorite!!
We are constantly faced with uncertainty, if you accept uncertainty you can enjoy this adventure. If you cannot accept it you will live in fear and worry.

Fear blocks energy.

The answer does not come from your head. You are never going to think it up. It comes from the inner self. From being still and allowing the universal consciousness to come through. It’s a feeling.

Follow the feeling.

Live as if the present moment is more important then past or future. It is.

If you need love - give love. If you need to be heard, hear others. If you need to feel safe, give out safety.

Greatness comes out of small things. Honor the small things of the present moment. Small steps. One foot in front of the other.

If you look at your life and think it's all supposed to be "someway" it produces stress. If you stay in the moment, keeping it simply, true to the moment, then peace comes.

Love it all!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I watched all those webcasts. They were great! I think they are still archived online somewhere.

The best quote I remember, which I still call on, is "worry pretends to be necessary."

Great stuff!

L
Old 09-16-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

ahhh spirituality! thanks for the book suggestion!!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

WW, I just saw that book in the bookstore last week! Thought about buying it but didn't. Now I'm going to go back and get it!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There's just so much to this book.

And wouldn't ya know it, of course Oprah is onto him and just did an episode with the author about this book.

Here it is!

Full Episode: Oprah and Michael Singer on The Untethered Soul- Video - @OWNTV

This is from the Huffington Post, pretty cool! The book breaks this all down very easily with clear analogies.

The Untethered Soul: Twelve-Step Guide to Spiritual Awakening
BY Michael Singer
Spirituality is meant to bring about harmony and peace. But the diversity of our philosophies, beliefs, concepts and views about spiritual matters often leads to confusion or even conflict. The fact is that the very act of seeking spiritual freedom causes notions of success and failure, and these notions serve only to bind us to our own self judgments: Am I growing? Have I done anything wrong? Am I meditating enough?

Truth is only complicated because we pass it through our habitual thought patterns. When we step back from ourselves, truth becomes simple. There are not many paths to freedom, there is only one. In the end, no matter what particular patterns of thought we have managed to build in our minds, freedom always means transcending these personal thought patterns.

But how does one go about transcending the personal self and awakening to spiritual freedom? What is needed for this journey are succinct steps that are so universal that they can echo through the halls of any religion as well as support intellectual understanding. The following is a universal road map to Self Realization.

1. Realize that you are in there.
You must first come to realize that you are in there. From deep inside, you are experiencing this world. You are experiencing your physical body, your thoughts, and your emotions. You are conscious and you are experiencing what it is like to be human.

2. Realize that you are not okay in there.
Look to see what's going on inside. If you want to understand why you've done everything you have ever done, if you want to see what's really going on, just observe your mind and emotions--just experience your inner state. If you objectively look, you will see that you are never completely at peace. You will see that you are not okay in there.

3. Realize that you're always trying to be okay.
At any point when you look at the state of your inner being, you will see that something is bothering you. You will then notice that this causes urges, drives, and impulses to do something about it. You will find yourself constantly trying to either get something or avoid something. All of this is done in an attempt to be okay.

4. Realize that your mind has taken on the job of figuring out how everything needs to be for you to be okay.
If you watch, you will see that your mind is always telling you what you should and should not do, what others should and should not do, and how things should and should not be. All of this is the mind's attempt to first create a conceptual model of what would make you okay, and then try to get the outside world to match it.

5. Realize that the process of defining how the outside needs to be is not going to make you okay.
You must seriously look at this process of trying to be okay. You've been at it your entire life--you've just tried different things at different times. While it's true that sometimes you manage to make it better for short periods of time, you know that you've never even come close to reaching a state of permanent peace. Watch very closely how you react to the things your mind has preferences about. You will see that if your mind gets what it wants, you feel joy; if it doesn't get what it wants, you feel disturbance. Likewise, when your mind experiences what it doesn't want, you feel disturbance, and when it avoids what it doesn't want, you feel relief. You will never be okay playing this game because the world will never match the conceptual model your mind has made up. Eventually, you will come to see that struggling to be okay does not work. At some point, you will try to find a different way to be okay in there.

6. Learn to not participate in the mind's struggle to be okay.
This step is about learning to sit in the witness, the part of you that notices the inner urges to be okay. You must become comfortable with sitting in there and not participating in the inner energies. You learn to relax in the midst of them. You come to see that there is a habitual process in which the moment you feel inner disturbance, you are drawn into doing something about it. You must learn to sit inside and not participate in this process. If you truly understand that going outside to try to be okay inside doesn't work, then you'll be willing to sit inside and simply allow the disturbance to pass through. It is not difficult. If you can do this, all disturbance will cease by itself.

7. Learn to go about your life just like everyone else, except that nothing you do is for the purpose of trying to be okay.
If you aren't so preoccupied with trying to be okay, you will be free to sit inside and quietly love, serve, and honor whatever naturally unfolds in front of you. When you reach this point, you are no longer living for yourself. You are interacting with life, but not for the purpose of being okay.

8. As you sincerely let go of the inner energies you are watching, you begin to feel a deeper energy come in from behind.
Up to this point, everything you were watching inside was in front of you. But now that you are no longer being drawn into those personal energies, you'll realize that your inner universe is actually very expansive. You will begin to feel Spirit flow in from behind. It lifts you and brings you great love and joy.

9. Your inner experience becomes so beautiful that you fall in love with the energy itself, and you develop a very deep and personal relationship with it.
It will become completely clear to you that there is an absolute trade-off between your personal energies and the amount of Spirit that you feel. The more you get drawn into your personal energies, the less Spirit you feel. The more you don't participate in your personal energies, the more Spirit you feel. You now have a direct relationship with the spiritual energy, and you will find yourself constantly longing to experience it.

10. You begin to feel the energy pulling you up into it, and your entire path becomes letting go of yourself in order to merge.
Will is no longer needed. Now your path is strictly about releasing yourself into the pull of the higher energy. You must surrender deeply enough to be able to overcome the fear of losing your connection to the personal self. You must to be willing to die to be reborn.

11. Once you get far enough back into the energy, you realize that your personal life can go on without you, leaving you free to become immersed in Spirit.
This is the greatest miracle: You've surrendered and your entire life is about Spirit, yet people, places, and things continue to interact with you. The difference is that these interactions require none of your energy. They happen naturally, by themselves, leaving you at peace and absorbed in Spirit.

12. Now you are truly okay and nothing inside or outside of you can cause disturbance--you have come to peace with it all.
Because you are now completely okay, you don't need anything. Things just are what they are. At this point, you know yourself as Self. The world, mind, and heart cannot disturb you. You've transcended them all. What is more, instead of feeling drawn into Spirit, you now actually experience yourself as Spirit. You have no boundaries in time or space. You have always existed and you will always exist. You have no form, shape, gender, or body. You simply are, have always been, and will always be--Infinite Spirit.

[/COLOR]
Old 09-16-2012, 11:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just watched the Oprah taping with Michael Singer = WOW! So worth watching.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Even just the title has just taken a weight of my shoulders ! "The Untethered Soul" going to be my mantra today ..... off to order it - thanks for the recommendation WishingWell!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just saw the interview. Really great stuff. My favorite:

"In order to BE who you are, you must be willing to let go of who you THINK you are."

L
Old 09-17-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I agree - great thought! My thinking is always that if I get even one sentence that helps me grow - it is worth it!

My goal is to free myself - and it's "work". In this book he talks about how we live in an "if only" world. If only I could get a new job I would be content . . If only my husband stops drinking then I'll be happy . . . If only I had a new relationship my life would be perfect . . . If I had more money then I'd . . . If I had a better family or better friends who didn't hurt me, I'd be much happier . . .

And that list is endless and bottomless. An "IF ONLY" life means an unfulfilled life. Life is never, ever perfect, right? One "if only" is achieved and 10 more pop up.

I was just telling my husband, I used to have this stressful business and job (which I now see that I made it stressful, not the job). I used to think and was convinced . . . if only I had less stress, didn't have to work, had a yard, with dogs I could be happy. Well, I got it all and more. Did it make me happy? Not really. Instead I woke up every single morning guilt-ridden that I wasn't working, stressed to the max that I was being irresponsible. Great.

Well, that is how it went for me until I started some deep inner work.

The real key in life is not to worry so much about changing the outside but really focus on changing the inside. To be happy no matter what - is true transformation. (that's not to say that we don't have real bumps in there, too) And then, as he said in that interview - we can make those changes that we need without all that hurtful struggle. What a concept! I think detaching with love comes much easier when we are 'there'.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh Gosh! You've just reminded me of this post I wrote back in 2008!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ill-happy.html
Old 09-17-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

LOL

That is great!! Here's what I think - we get IT, we then try to do IT, and it takes a long time to make IT a new habit. To stop an old habit and create a healthier one. I'm sure I could've written this in 2008, too as I had just gone through the Tolle book!

So, how's it going for you? Have you been able to implement more of this?

How have you changed and evolved since 2008?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You know, the thing that struck me back then, and still today, is how similar all these works are. I have books on my shelf by Deepak Chopra, Thomas Moore, Eckhart Tolle, Wayne Dyer, and probably others I can't think of right now, lol. But, really, they are all saying the same thing, you know?

Let's see. In 2008, I believed I was stuck working at my job for at least another ten years, if not longer. I hated it then, and I still hate it today. The difference is, I am retiring and the end of this year. It's scary and exhilarating at the same time. My lifestyle will change radically since I will have only about 40% of the income I currently live on. I will have to sell my house and rent. I'm okay with that and know I will be fine.

Also, in 2008, I was trying to find my "purpose." Probably one of the reasons I read all those books, lol. Then, in 2009, I discovered photography. I have never been so consumed by a creative endeavor in my life. And now, it's almost four years later and I'm still as enthusiastic about it as I was then, maybe even more so because I have learned how to do it better.

So, all in all, I think I have evolved since then. But, I am most definitely still a work in progress and always will be.

L
Old 09-17-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh, and there's a lot less fear in my life. Although it hasn't gone away completely, I fear less. I do embrace uncertainty (most of the time).
Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Really great to see how far you've come and are still changing your life! And finding a new passion, love that. I don't think we're ever done growing. I think some people see life's challenges - including and especially dealing with addictions - as opportunities to grow and can embrace the question. Which for me always comes down to "What is this here to teach ME?" The moment I change my perspective - the answers start flooding over me. And peace arrives.

I'm sure you've read Rumi and Hafiz, Gibran - through the ages the masters have been repeating that fundamental wisdom. Find your peace inside, it does not exist anywhere else.

That's the ultimate challenge!!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ah, Gibran, my favorite. And my favorite quote:

"Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.

And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.

And how else can it be?

The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain."

L