First Trip to Marriage Counselor Tomorrow

Old 09-14-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by drunkyjules View Post
Hi Central Ohio Dad. I just wanted to say hello-I'm from central Ohio too. Go Bucks!

Looking forward to watching the game with my 2.5 yr old once he wakes from nap! He's becoming obsessed with the Bucks - I love it!
I wanted to say good luck at your marriage counseling tomorrow. I agree with PohsFriend that you should try to go in there with a positive goal in mind and positive attitude towards working on improving your marriage. I think that counselors can be very impartial-they are used to the blame game and are there to help sort it out.

I did go in with an open mind. A couple of times she told me this morning, "You can go by yourself", thinking I would give up and not go. I said, "Oh, that's fine, I'm going with or without you." She opened more than I thought she would, so that's a bonus.

As far as the drinking wife problem. I'm the drinking problem in my marriage and I can say that someone has to truely have the desire and the willingness to stay sober and to work on it their problem in order to change. I don't know your wife but I have found a lot of help in AA - central Ohio has a ton of meetings all over at all times of day. We are truely fortunate to have so many options. There are mixed meetings, womens meeting etc. When I first went I was amazed by the number of people there and the mish mash of people there. We A's come from every walk of life -that helped me alot. I had this image in my mind of what an alcoholic was and I was so wrong.

I doubt she would go to AA - she still feels she can 'cut back' and monitor herself. That has never worked in the past, however, and I don't expect it to work going forward either.

Anyway I'm probably rambling but good luck and if she doesn't want to continue with counseling and trying to improve things then you should work on yourself!! You could check out al-anon or an open aa meeting, continue counseling etc.

Take care Central Ohio Dad. Enjoy your football weekend My husband is an obsessed man during football season.....
Thanks, and I will enjoy my weekend - look at my post on the "TGIF" post. I'm ready!!
Old 09-14-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
aboutdone

Agree with many of the above posts.

My experience with the MC and the AH. I was reduced to a sniveling bawling piece of melted down person. My AH kept pointing out all my issues, and I was so frustrated that the MC couldn't see it all, well most, stemmed for the alcoholism and the sickness in our family from it.

I scheduled my own appointment with the same counselor 2 days later, and went in and told him I was very disappointed that he missed the ball. He was shocked to learn just how much I felt it all was contributed to the alcoholism. He didn't specialize in addiction, but he hopped on the computer, got some resources, and actually did his best as a counselor to help me overcome my own insecurities and problems, which led to me continuing to try to fix my RAH.

I don't believe MC is helpful at all with one person not being sober. I do think it can be helpful to point out things you yourself need to overcome. Best of luck.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

COD,
It appears your MC has gone well so far. I dont want to burst your bubble; i had those high hopes too when AH and I first started MC. I didnt know at the time he was an alcoholic however. I second the thoughts of others that alcoholics will be on their best behavior when necessary and paint you as the irrational foolish spouse. I know from 18 months of MC that it simply is ineffective when there is an addicted spouse. My counselor was fortunately very knowledgable about addiction and recognized that my husband's alcoholism was the root of most, if not all, of our marital problems. My AH is in deep denial. Our marriage was doomed from the start. Addicts cannot be honest with themselves, let alone anyone else. This prevents them from taking a true look at how their behavior impacts a marriage to make positive changes, even with a neutral third party counselor.

My AH cared about our marriage, but he's an addict, so therefore he unwittingly cares about his addiction more. He went through the motions of MC; looking back I can see how far he slipped away from me. He blew up our marriage in pursuit of his addiction.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks. I have a one-on-one appointment with the counselor tomorrow night, based on the fact that I need to talk about my issues separate fom her. At that point I'm going to find out how much he knows about dealing with addiction. If he doesn't know much, then I'm dead in the water.

So far the MC sessions have pretty much been about how bad I am to the marriage and all the things I do wrong. I need to gather up my b*lls and start to speak up a little more.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dear CentralOhio, I think your position on this seems very realistic.

Good luck to you.

dandylion
Old 09-25-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I had similar issues with MC - AH painted himself as the model spouse - kind, generous, understanding, you name it. Me? He had me as ungrateful, angry, not understanding, mean, etc etc.

I hope your one-on-one session goes well. My marriage is over but I've continued to see the my marriage counselor for individual therapy.

during MC, my counselor had to walk a fine line with AH's addiction bc he is in denial. He picked up on the fact that all of my issues in the marriage always went back to AH's alcohol and drug use. The counselor, however, couldn't make it look like he was taking sides with either one of us or ganging up on my husband.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Update

Originally Posted by mmk11 View Post
I had similar issues with MC - AH painted himself as the model spouse - kind, generous, understanding, you name it. Me? He had me as ungrateful, angry, not understanding, mean, etc etc.

I hope your one-on-one session goes well. My marriage is over but I've continued to see the my marriage counselor for individual therapy.

during MC, my counselor had to walk a fine line with AH's addiction bc he is in denial. He picked up on the fact that all of my issues in the marriage always went back to AH's alcohol and drug use. The counselor, however, couldn't make it look like he was taking sides with either one of us or ganging up on my husband.
Well, 3 joint sessions in the bag, and two individual (for me) sessions. She feels that if we talk about her past and her drinking, that she's 'being attacked' and pretty much shuts down. I feel like everytime we are in there, she is attacking me. Last Friday was bad - I got reamed a new one when we got home because the talk seemed more focused on her.

The issues she has with me are minor in my opinion, (which the MC said indirectly) but that being an A is somewhat more important. She feels that now that she has 'slowed up' on her drinking, that she could not be a part of any of the problems now, and that all the focus should be on me.

So, she's in denial, still, and we probably won't get anywhere with this. The good part is, she has slowed down, but when she does overdo it, it's a problem.

Just like when she's drunk - all the blame is on me. It's tiring
Old 10-03-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

This is an example of why MC rarely works while the A is actively addicted.

Did you ask the MC whether it makes any more sense, or if it is actually doing more harm than good while she still drinks (no matter how much)?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
This is an example of why MC rarely works while the A is actively addicted.

Did you ask the MC whether it makes any more sense, or if it is actually doing more harm than good while she still drinks (no matter how much)?
Have not asked that question yet. He's trying to put a positive spin on this.. I do not believe that addiction counseling is a speciality of his..
Old 10-04-2012, 04:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Positive column ($$) or spin? 3 joint sessions, as you mentioned. Enough for background, right? If so, what are you seeing by way of results?

Perhaps call MCs that do have an addiction specialty, and ask over the phone while vetting them.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((COD))

Just wanted to give you a virtual PINK HUGS of encouragement - living with the active disease is tough - even when they try to do "controlled drinking"

Hope you can continue your own recovery - thru posting here, reaching out for help, de-stressing when you can - reading al-anon & other recovery literature ~ please remember you are not alone ~ so many of us have been there too ~

The Al-Anon CTC book on pg 293 says "Struggling & worrying didn't help me to solve my problem. Doing my part and trusting my Higher Power with the rest did."

Wishing you & your family your HP's very best!
Rita