Rehab Revival.....

Old 09-12-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab Revival.....

A few weeks ago I reached my limit. I told him that he needed to move out. I suggested he either go to rehab or stay with a friend but he couldn't stay here. I let him know that if he refused to leave that I would, I had already made plans for my aunt to help me move. The next day he checked into detox. He was there for a week and now is two weeks into rehab now. I visited him for the first time last weekend. He seems to be doing really well. The conversation we had was grounded and reasonable, two characteristics he hasn't expressed for quite some time. He is taking an antidepressant, he has always been extremely anti medication, so this is surprising. He says the medication is helpful and he really notices the difference. He is making friends which is great cause he's been really isolated in the past. He knows that it won't be easy but he doesn't expect it to be. He's gotten really into the church they have there. He introduced me to a guy from chapel and the guy said " this guy is really changing, I see a true change in him, a revival ".*
I know that it's really soon, but I feel slightly hopeful again after this visit. I know he wanted help and he seems open to change, so I am hoping these are good signs for the future. When we first met he had been in recovery for two years. He stayed sober for about 7 more years and relapsed after losing his job and being faced with some issues from the past that had resurfaced. He says that he is 10 years older now and has learned more about life, that he is ready to grow and change.*
Also, I am taking this time to get back to myself, organizing the house way I like it and eating healthy again. Reading and relaxing, doing what I like. I may not visit him this coming weekend just because I want to relax and he's totally ok with that. I'm struggling a bit with missing the healthy him and feeling a bit lonely and starved for affection. The visit reminded me of the healthier him that I've been missing for so long but knew so well in the past.*
Old 09-12-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It sounds like such a stuggle.

Continue to take good care of yourself and please keep us posted.

Katie xo
Old 09-12-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Good attitude! Sounds encouraging but don't turn that into expectations. Keep us close!
Old 09-12-2012, 10:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I hope you will use this time to work on your own recovery.

Keep in mind that he is in a controlled environment right now. It's easy to stay sober in rehab. The real work begins when he is released and has to face life on life's terms without self-medicating.