ADHD and alcoholism

Old 01-16-2004, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

ADHD and alcoholism

Does anyone know if there is a link between attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and alcoholism or addiction? Does anyone have any experience with adult adhd? My A is scheduled for an appointment with an addictionologist to be tested for this. I am just curious. I know we will find out more when he sees the doctor, but I thought I'd ask you guys if you have any thing to share with me. Thanks!! Magic
Old 01-16-2004, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is a distinct link. If I had can find some of the research I will post it here for you. It is believed that often the roots of addiction are based in an attempt to self medicate for disorders such as ADHD and ADD.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try this:

http://www.addandaddiction.com/the_link.htm
Old 01-16-2004, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

WOW!!! I can't believe you came up with that so quick! I thought this might be something really out there, but maybe the doc's can help. Thanks!!!!M
Old 01-16-2004, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Magichappens,

My son has been diagnosed ADHD and the pediatrician was the one that told me that they are at much higher risk of becoming addicts because of self medicating. My husband who is an alcoholic, has never been diagnosed, but he believes that he is ADHD. He and my son have MANY Of the same symptoms. My husband partied for years....for fun, but in his early twenties he begin suffering from panic attacks (adult ADHD can turn into anxiety) and began self medicating along with taking Xanax prescribed by the doc. Needless to say now he is a mess.....addicted to alcohol and Xanax.

Missybelle...thanks for the link....was good to see something in writing instead of just hear-say. Hope my husband and I can keep our son from going down that path!!!

Blessings
Constant
Old 01-17-2004, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Ditto to the above...the Beav is ADHD and has spent alot of time self medicating. His most successful attempt at sobriety was while he was being treated for his ADHD.

JT
Old 01-17-2004, 01:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hiya,
There's also a link between addiction and Borderline Personality Disorder which often gets confused with ADHD. There's a good book called "Stop Walking on Eggshells" by Paul T Mason and Randy Kreger. I got it out of the library because I could really relate to the title

They set out the symptoms of both ADHD and BPD and at first they seem strikingly similar. I haven't had any experience with these disorders myself.

Let us know how you get on.

HugZ
Sa