Chodron Quote: Cause for celebration

Old 09-12-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chodron Quote: Cause for celebration

Got this quote through FB today. Thought others might enjoy it.

"When things fall apart in your life, you feel as if your whole world is crumbling. But actually it’s your fixed identity that’s crumbling. And as Chögyam Trungpa used to tell us, that’s cause for celebration. "
~Pema Chodron
Old 09-12-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This reminds me that some of the best parts of ourselves are those parts which are most adaptable, but more importantly--the more flexible.
Any part of us that is severely rigid--it usually seems to be the part of myself I like the least. It's a judgmental part of myself if it is severely rigid. It's also a part of myself that is not open to new ideas and viewpoints.

I was reminded of rigidity yesterday seeing my minister mother. She's so severely rigid, and I was so severely stressed in her company.

I like the child in each of us that embraces new things, and loves discovery, and the beauty in a child's eyes when they light up with that discovery.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think one of the reasons why I am not terribly distraught by this divorce is because the idea of what comes next really excites me! Ok, this chapter didn't work out the way I wanted it to, so close it, and move into the next chapter. And who knows what adventures lay around the corner...

I like meeting new people, so I am not afraid of dating when the time is right. I am much more enlightened having gone through the last 5 years. I think the next chapter is going to be a lot of fun, and I look forward to it all.

I get to be a new "me". That's an exhilarating feeling.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Three months ago, a quote about a crumbling life being worth celebrating would have made steam come out of my ears.
Today I totally get it.
I really like the person who is going through this turmoil and picking up the pieces and forming a new and happier life. I know there are tough times to come with the divorce proceedings but my life does not stay in that place forever. It moves forward. And where it goes is up to me. Love that.

Thanks for the quote Solo.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think one of the reasons why I am not terribly distraught by this divorce is because the idea of what comes next really excites me! Ok, this chapter didn't work out the way I wanted it to, so close it, and move into the next chapter. And who knows what adventures lay around the corner...

I like meeting new people, so I am not afraid of dating when the time is right. I am much more enlightened having gone through the last 5 years. I think the next chapter is going to be a lot of fun, and I look forward to it all.

I get to be a new "me". That's an exhilarating feeling.
And just for fun, compare the feeling you have now to the feeling you had when you were married to your AXH -- whether R or not...

I feel like I got a new lease on life when I got out of my A marriage.
Before that, I was basically waiting to get old and die.
Now, I can't wait to figure out what I want to do next.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
I feel like I got a new lease on life when I got out of my A marriage.
Before that, I was basically waiting to get old and die.
Now, I can't wait to figure out what I want to do next.
I can so relate to this. I was 43 and old. Now, I'm almost 50 and young!

L
Old 09-12-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I highly recommend her book "When Things Fall Apart" - it really helped me through my divorce, which was such a scary time...
Old 09-12-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the quote. Pema Chodron is pretty great, and her book "The Places that Scare You: A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times" helped me reach and act on the decision to leave my AH. Change is good!