OT - Had to put my sweet dog to sleep today

Old 09-06-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy OT - Had to put my sweet dog to sleep today

His name was Cooper. He was a golden retriever. He was 11 and 1/2 years old and I loved him so much.

He was a rescue dog. One day I took him to our local park and took him off the leash and he surprised me when he ran to the slide, climbed up the ladder, and slid down with his pink tongue flapping behind him! I had no idea! Then he did it again...and again...and he had this look of sheer joy on his face and I'm sure I had a look of sheer delight and shock.

He was a really cool dog. I mean really, really cool.

But alas, he was growing older. I listened to him cry softly at night over the last few months. And his legs began to give way and today, when I woke up, I just knew it was time. I made him a big old saugage omelette...cuddled and loved on him for 1/2 a day, and then took him to the vet to have him put to sleep.

It was such an easy and yet such a difficult decision. I couldn't stand the thought of him being in pain anymore.

But man, I sure am gonna miss that dog.
He'll ALWAYS have a special place in my heart.

I LOVE YOU COOPER!!

Old 09-06-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((OTL))) - I'm so sorry for your loss of ((Cooper)) - he sounds like an awesome dog! I can just picture him sliding down the slide

Though it was hard, you did the most loving thing you could for him. I know, though, it hurts so much. I'm picturing him on Rainbow Bridge with all the other special SR furbabies and he's no longer in pain. I hope they have a slide up there

Mega hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-06-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cooper sounds like he brought you as much joy and love as you gave him. I love the thought of seeing him go on the slide over and over, what a great treat to have been there with him for that. Great dogs are the most special friends to have, pure, honest emotion. I am sorry you had to say good bye today.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Cooper was a lucky dog to have someone wonderful and loving to rescue and care for him.
I have 2 dogs, and I don't really know how I'll handle it when the time comes. I think you were very brave and unselfish to do the right thing for your friend.

No more pain for Cooper - he's running free now, but he'll be waiting. I know you'll see him again.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awww - hugs to you. So hard to do but it is definately the right thing to do.

From one dog lover to another....
Old 09-06-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I am so sorry, he sounded like a real pal. I have one little guy that is going on 19, every day I have with him is a gift!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am so, so sorry. I have been there, and it's so painful.. amazing how much of a void a dog can leave.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much.

Cooper was such a huge blessing in my life. Such pure, unconditional love. Isn't it funny how they just KNOW when you need an little extra love and support? He was always at my side...he kissed away my tears and shared in my joy.

Today, when he put his head in my lap and drew his last breath, I know he did so in peace and with pure trust and love in his heart. And that made me feel good. That he knew I was there by his side til the very end.

I hope they have a really cool slide up there for him. And maybe a few juicy T-bones too.

Thanks for your love and support...

Mary
Old 09-06-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss of your furry friend! My dog is also near her end and I know how painful that can be! Lifting you up today in prayer and support.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

((((outonalimb)))) My heart goes out to you. I know how hard it is to make that final loving decision. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Love from Lenina
Old 09-06-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so, so sorry for the loss of your precious pet.

There is nothing to compare to the unconditional love of a pet, and how comforting to Cooper that you held him till the end.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear the sad news. I also have a rescued golden retriever and he makes my life so much better by just being in it. I'm glad that you and Cooper had each other for as long as you did. And I'm glad you did the right thing for him. I hope you can take some comfort in remembering all the fun and love you shared. Sending you positive thoughts and many hugs.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've had two Goldens and they are so so so special. My goldens, however, did not know how to slide down a slide! That's pretty damn cool.

I know in my heart how much you are hurting today...and your post kind of opens up those same wounds for me, too. I miss my doggies so much. But we are richer for having had them in our lives and I know Cooper was so very grateful to have a wonderful human like you.

RIP, Cooper. See you at the Rainbow Bridge.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm so sorry to hear about Cooper. I know how much losing a dear furry friend can hurt
Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i am serioulsy hurting for you , but am also glad you got to have the time with one of Gods awesome creatures. they sure arent just pets, they really are family.

they also got slides up there!!! and sausage omelettes, too!! at the bottom of the slide!! and t bones at the top!!!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm so very sorry. It is always so very tough to say goodbye to such a special friend.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It is so hard to lose such a dear friend, and I send you my sympathy.

I had a dog named Cassie who had a liver shunt, and she never acted quite normal because there were toxins in her system. Her behavior got way out of line and she tried to bite a puppy, so we had to put her down. I cried and felt so sad. On my way home from the vet about a half hour later, I had this strong sense of Cassie's presence, and I felt that she was grateful to be freed from her disability and that she was whole. Felt like God to me.

And the next spring, we got quite a surprise. My husband had worked his way up the edge of the driveway on his hands and knees planting day lilies. Unbeknownst to him, Cassie had followed him up the drive and dug up many of the day lilies he had just planted. Next spring, all over the yard, in random places, the most beautiful red and gold lilies came into bloom. Cassie was gone, but her valiant spirit has stayed with me; remembering her makes me smile.

I hope you will have the comfort of your memories of Cooper.

BothSidesNow
Old 09-06-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Smiling at the image of Cooper on the slide and crying over the loss of your furbaby. Here's hoping the tongue is lolling and the light is back in his eyes as he sails down the slide in Rainbow Bridge until you are there to join him.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm so very sorry about Cooper. Why can't they stay with us longer? You are in my thoughts. So sorry.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Let Go or Be Dragged

So so sorry for your loss. Tears are running down my face as i sit in bed, thinking about Cooper, and listening to my own Golden snoring softly beside me. You did the right thing- tho that doesnt make it hurt any less. Heartfelt sympathy to you. God Bless you and Cooper.