SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   is it ever too late? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/267125-ever-too-late.html)

jamaicamecrazy 09-03-2012 08:27 AM

is it ever too late?

Someone just asked a question about long term sobriety. I know it is possible if the A really wants it and works a good program. However I often wonder if it is ever too late. My AH started drinking when he was about 17. He is now 52. That's his whole adult life. I hope and pray that he chooses sobriety but have begun to wonder if he even can at this point. It is the only way of life he knows.I imagine that again, if he wants it and works a program it can be done. But the odds seem stacked against him. Has anyone seen someone who has been a life long drinker get and stay sober?

Shutterbug1 09-03-2012 09:41 AM

I am worried about this too.

Did your husband ever have a long stretch of sobriety since he began or has his drinking been consistent? I'm sorry i don't have much advice, i'm a newbie and i just have my story to share right now. But the replies to my other post have given me a small seed of hope that it is at least possible and there ARE some success stories. The story you shared about the guy who reached 35 years was so amazing, thank you for sharing that.

My ABF started drinking at 14, he is 37 now. He just relapsed after being sober for almost 8 years. Between 14 and 29 he had some periods of sobriety from going to rehabs and working the programs....but these past 8 years have been his longest stretch of time sober since he began having a problem. He lost his job and that put him over the edge but the negative thinking started before he lost the job, his worldview began to get very bleak. He is in rehab now for 30 days....i'm glad he is getting help but i am feeling very shaky about our future together. He did so well for so long, i hope he gets there again....and stays there.

Tuffgirl 09-03-2012 10:18 AM

I've seen plenty in the rooms of AA. Yes, it is possible, and absolutely doable if someone is so inclined to do the work to get there.

One dear friend of mine has been sober since he was 19, and he's now 42 and still active in AA and NA. He says its remaining active in the programs that keeps him sober and sane. Another man I met and really liked a lot got sober in his 50's after a lifetime of drinking, and now in his 70's continues to be active in AA with a whole load of sponsees under his belt. He was in my Al-Anon group, too.

dollydo 09-03-2012 11:02 AM

Yes, it is possible, about 10% of alcoholics do stop for life...not alot of hope, but some.

DesertEyes 09-03-2012 11:12 AM

This is where I find the disease concept so helpful. Change the words around and see if it fits.

Is it ever too late for a man with heart disease to start excercising, eat healthy and follow doctors orders? I think the answer is "no". Recovery from a disease, any disease, has nothing to do with what has happened in the past and everything to do with what a person is doing _today_.

The question _I_ had to look at when I was living with a woman in the chaos of addition was whether it was too late for _me_ to find a healthy way to live, regardless of what she was doing. It is _my_ life I can do something about, and _my_ future I can build based on what I do today.

Mike :)

doggonecarl 09-03-2012 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by dollydo (Post 3561379)
Yes, it is possible, about 10% of alcoholics do stop for life...not alot of hope, but some.

Chances of recovery from alcoholism -- one in ten
Chances of recovery if you don't try -- zero

Is you husband trying? Then there is always hope.

mdh0723 09-03-2012 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by doggonecarl (Post 3561402)
chances of recovery from alcoholism -- one in ten
chances of recovery if you don't try -- zero

is you husband trying? Then there is always hope.

love that!

NYCDoglvr 09-03-2012 01:08 PM

NO! It is not too late. I encountered someone who got sober at 68. He must, however, have a burning desire to get sober and work a program with dedication. It takes honesty and willingness to stay sober.

dandylion 09-03-2012 02:00 PM

Dear Jamaica, I have known people who drank from teen years until late middle-age before recovery. I will say that these were people who I did not ever expect to do so. In each of these cases I really was surprised when I heard about it---pleasantly so.

I believe that in AA there is a saying "While there is life, there is hope".

Each person is so incredibly unique---I am constantly reminded of this.

While we are on this subject---I would add that because we never give up hope doesn't justify us allowing the disease to destroy our lives. There is more hope if all the enablers get out of their way so that they can feel the full impact of the consequences.

dandylion

NWGRITS 09-03-2012 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by dandylion (Post 3561566)
Dear Jamaica, I have known people who drank from teen years until late middle-age before recovery. I will say that these were people who I did not ever expect to do so. In each of these cases I really was surprised when I heard about it---pleasantly so.

I believe that in AA there is a saying "While there is life, there is hope".

Each person is so incredibly unique---I am constantly reminded of this.

While we are on this subject---I would add that because we never give up hope doesn't justify us allowing the disease to destroy our lives. There is more hope if all the enablers get out of their way so that they can feel the full impact of the consequences.

dandylion

Dandylion always says what I'm thinking before I get to posting it. :)

As long as they're alive, then there's always hope. Just know that as the years go on, there is damage to their organs-- some of which is irreversible. Long-term alcohol consumption has adverse effects on the brain in addition to the liver, pancreas, etc. Even if an A does go into recovery, they may never completely "come back" as we once knew them. This is by no means a standard, but something to be prepared for if you ever knew your A pre-addiction.

The best guidance was given above, in focusing on how you can recover your own life. You'll never change your A or love them into recovery. Work on YOU, but never give up hope for your A.

akalacha 09-03-2012 04:24 PM

As long as they're alive, there's hope.

sugarbear1 09-03-2012 05:24 PM

I turned 51 in April and I had 11 months of sobriety. Today, I have over 15 months.

I know a young man of 73 who quit drinking. It's never too late but the person wants to want to quit to make it. We used the program (12 steps) of AA

I wish you and your hubby well!

Love & hugs,

jamaicamecrazy 09-03-2012 09:39 PM

Thank You All. He is in deep denial mode. He has always been a "weekend/holiday/vacation" drinker. A couple of times he tried to "cut back" when we got into some pretty heavy duty arguments about it. He even went to a couple of AA meetings but thought they were "not for him". I think the longest he has gone without a drink is a month-just so he could prove to himself he could do it. Now he just says he wants to keep drinking. I still hope for sobriety or him but I think our journey together is over. We have been separated for 2 years and recently he asked for a divorce. I am living my own life, going to Al ANon and we have very limited contact. I am getting out of his way-for both our goods.

NWGRITS 09-04-2012 12:17 PM

White knuckling is definitely not the same as working a program. They'll never make it going cold turkey without a program in place. Just as you need a program for your own well being. Keep posting!

jessd 09-04-2012 01:55 PM

yes it is very possiable ive seen lots of people recover and go on to have great lives

candi7 09-04-2012 02:33 PM

My sweetheart has been sober for 20 years.. It encourages me being only at 107 days..

DarkDays 09-04-2012 02:37 PM

I started drinking aged 15..Iam 47 now and nearly 8 months sober.

I had one spell of 4 months sober before and a couple of 10 day type quits.

I am never going back to alcoHELL.