hypnosis?

Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hypnosis will work with this addiction and will work well. I wouldn't just go to any hypnotist though as there are many reasons and issues around addiction or any "habit" if you are not comfortable calling it an addiction. It is not a "one and done" visit as they make it look like on TV or you read about in books, however, it is going to get him on track faster than any talk therapy. I know I have done both. Find a hypnotist that deals in addiction and recovery, one that he trusts and believes in and most importantly he needs to know why he wants to quit and what his life will be like after...
Old 09-11-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post

As for hypnosis, I can't arrest my alcoholism through hypnosis anymore than I can arrest my diabetes through hypnosis.

I am not sure if this is really the case. There is more and more evidence that all kinds of things affect all kinds of things . . .I just heard that people have reversed serious diseases like breast cancer and macular degeneration through "sound healing" - It's true that some people's diabetes can be controlled through diet and exercise . . .hypnosis could be very powerful at getting at the underlying beliefs that are causing addiction, the same way one uses hypnosis to stop smoking (as I did years ago - and I was a pack-a-day smoker, with a physical and emotional addiction to cigarettes) . . .

I think hypnosis is a tool that can be used to address the underlying sub-conscious beliefs and reasons a person might tend towards alcoholism.

I know AA has a party line belief about "what alcoholism is," but I have not read any science that backs that up, to date. If there is some, please provide links.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Kate,

I don't know anything about hypnosis.

He sounds like a smart man. He owns several business so he must be good at getting stuff done. If he wants to find a recovery program he likes - he is more then capable of doing so all on his own. He'd have already done it if he really wanted to.

The other side of the coin is that you are searching for an answer to his problem, to find a way to improve his life. It would be more productive if you could put that energy into improving your own life and happiness.

When it comes down to it the best thing we can do in this world for our alcoholic loved ones (or anyone really) is to be a good example. Lead with our actions. Show him what getting healthy looks like. Attend counseling or al-anon or whatever works for you. If you don't know what works for you figure it out (just like he has to figure his own answers out on his own - so do you). He will follow your lead or he won't but you'll be better off either way ya know? Strive to be as healthy and happy yourself as you want him to be.