sigh. I guess a jerk is just a jerk

Old 08-30-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hopeworks View Post
I hope you have a two story bedroom... it is more fun tossing their crap and watching it all fall a loooong way to the lawn.

He only has a few things here. No cohabitation, just some underwear and a t-shirt. Those aren't all that entertaining when they fall.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

WaterWings!

You must be a power reader! It took me days of nearly constant reading when I first got here to learn enough about alcoholism to see through his BS. I am very impressed with your email. It was very clear and completely dead on. But, yup, completely wasted on him. My XAH was the same way after he stopped drinking - was not willing to take responsibility for any of his unhealthy behaviors. He tried to lob them onto my shoulders. Thankfully, I knew better than to accept it by that point.

((Hopeworks))
That saying has so many forms. I guess the first time I read it was around this last X-mas. This is still my favorite version:

Take the rum out of a fruitcake, you still have a fruitcake.

LOL. I hate fruitcake! And rum was my XAH's drink of choice for a long while.

Stay strong and clear, WaterWings.

Fathom
Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

More was revealed....
And I'm almost POSITIVE more is coming.
You just don't know what it is yet...
Old 08-30-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Long phone conversation. I think it's fair to have an in-person conversation. I like the 'boundaries' theme. I expected him to know what mine are (because they are pretty typical, I think), but I also realize he's coming from a history that is completely different from mine.

I dunno. I'm currently removing the existing alcohol in the house by drinking it. Since I can only handle two drinks before I dislike the way I feel, I think the rest of the liqueurs are going to end up at a friend's house this weekend. But I'm done thinking about this for today, and I certainly don't make decisions, or take any actions after having a drink.

sigh. I'm whiny and depressed and need to snuggle my kitties.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Honestly, in your situation and with what you're taking on, have a drink at all is a bad idea. You're upset with an A, and yet you're choosing to have alcohol to help yourself feel better or whatever. Dump the stuff out or give it to someone else. It's the last thing you need right now.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I know. But he's not here, so I'm protected from making bad choices (other than the drink). Alcohol doesn't change anything, but sometimes it's nice to pretend that your life has no problems. I also find it amusing/ironic that I'm having one of my rare drinking-to-excess events (two drinks) whilst reading through a forum dedicated to recovering from addiction.

Starting my third drink, which is pineapple juice thinned with water, because how on earth could anyone drink more of that stuff that makes you so dizzy?

Bah. I'll have a headache from all the sugar I'm consuming.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

One of the important things that it took me awhile to realize was that nothing I said to XABF would ever get through that alcoholic thinking.

I remember talking to him after he'd been in rehab for almost two weeks. I was there with his daughter, and I was telling him about how I wasn't sure I still loved him and if we were ever going to work we had to rebuild our relationship from the beginning... And he looked back at me with tears in his eyes and told me that my words were hard to hear but he understood and he knew I deserved that...
I thought I had FINALLY gotten through to him until a half hour later, after his daughter left, he's on the concrete floor starting to propose to me. I told him "Don't even start that," and he looked up at me and said, "I understand... You want it to be special... Maybe I should get you a ring!"
And I realized that he hadn't heard anything I had said earlier, and this was after the rehab had certified he had a 0% alcohol level for the last 9 days, so I couldn't blame it on the whiskey. He just wasn't listening to me, he was just saying what he wanted me to hear, what he felt would keep me there - agreeing with and "validating" my pain, and then proposing. He hadn't listened enough to realize that he couldn't agree with my pain and propose, that they would cancel each other out and reveal what he was trying to hide, and so in his mistake I found my clarity and saw the truth.

So say what you need to say because it helps you, but it only helps if you have no expectations of any sort of positive change on his end, because even if there is one it is only temporary, it's a hook to keep us engaged. This is why some people prefer to write letters that are never sent, but of course sometimes it is important to voice our boundaries so that we feel our own resolve when it comes time to follow through on what we said we'd do if they were crossed. Towards the end I voiced my boundaries knowing they wouldn't be respected, but also knowing that telling them to him was the best way for me to hold myself accountable for following through.

I have a new boyfriend now. He loves me and respects me for who I am, and doesn't try to change me into something else to suit his tastes more. He's always honest with me, even about things he knows I won't particularly like, and I can be honest with him and know that he's not going to use it against me later.
I never thought I'd have something like that in my life, but he's here, and now I know what it feels like to be cherished. And things may not work out for the long term, or they might - who knows? But there's no expectations that either of us are going to be someone or something other than what we are, and our relationship is built on trust and respect and a mutual admiration. And I never knew that was possible, before...
Old 08-31-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Even an alcoholic, sober or not, knows that lying is wrong.

I'm glad you're hear WaterWings!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

its funny, someone said that 'more will be revealled'...oh gosh, that is so true...i only "dated" my A for 4 mths...and at the end, i was at "WTF?" stage...until he left....i DID indeed found out more...

good ridance!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
Even an alcoholic, sober or not, knows that lying is wrong.
Yes. But I also don't think you can stop one behavior without having something to replace it. For whatever reason, this person has learned to use lying as a coping mechanism. There has to be a better way. I've never had kids, so I don't know how you guide a small child through the 'lying is bad' stage, but this is a grown man, so I'm thinking something along the lines of "If you feel the best thing to do is to tell me a lie to make things better, please just stop and say 'I need a walk' or some other action. This will tell me that you need some time to be able to answer, and I will stop, and give you that time.

I don't know how else to approach it, and I don't know how else to give him the tools he needs to change his behavior, if it is something he wants to change.

I know, some of you are thinking 'well that'll just give him time to think up a better lie' but seriously guys, do any of you not recognize the lies as soon as you hear them? It would have to be a phenomenal lie to pass.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Not seeing , from what you are posting, any desire on his part to want to change.

5 years sober??? Same shite different year.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I've only posted you guys the bad stuff. I didn't tell you about the three solid days of hard labor he spent ripping rotting siding off my house, and then cutting out rotting wood down to the foundation to make sure it was repaired correctly, and then putting everything back together, better than it ever was.

I didn't tell you about the hours he spent tromping through the woods trying to track the coyote after my cat disappeared.

Or walking 4 miles uphill in the heat to bring me gas when my truck ran out by the side of the road.

In so many ways he really is "there" for me. In so many ways he really is trying to learn how to be a partner. There are just so many things he hasn't lived through, he doesn't understand what they mean to another person.

He told me that looking on the dating sites was something that made him feel "normal". Not sure what that means. I still think it's a bad behavior, and he shouldn't do it, and if what he means by "normal" is connecting with people, then I'll try to think of some alternatives. Some lovely, helpful forum, maybe.

We've done some volunteer work together, and he is at his happiest when he feels useful, and surrounded by people that are happily working there butts off to make something good happen.

I think he needs normal friends. Not just people from the program, but people who have spent their lives living.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Honey, there is not one of us, including myself that do not see a wonderful, caring, loving person in a A's.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katiekate View Post
Honey, there is not one of us, including myself that do not see a wonderful, caring, loving person in a A's.
Got it. Small sentence, but you really said a lot.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterWings View Post
I know, some of you are thinking 'well that'll just give him time to think up a better lie' but seriously guys, do any of you not recognize the lies as soon as you hear them? It would have to be a phenomenal lie to pass.
Alcoholics are phenomenal liars.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Alcoholics are phenomenal liars.
And many people are willing to be lied to. It's a team effort.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Waterwings, you are very smart, bright, you have a sense of humor and you are a compassionate and loving person.

You suffer from the same sickness I do, oh yes I am very sick, co dependency is as hostile and vicious as alcoholism.

I work on my sickness everyday, I hate it. I am sure it is shortening my life span, what I have gone through, at my own hand, I would not want my worst enemy to go through.

I feel for you, loving an alcoholic can be a life sentence, once I realized that, I knew things had to change. Sleepless night, anxiety, depression, inability to eat sleep, worry, on and on and on, and while I was doing all of that, my real life, was crumbling around me.

The dating site thing, it's a dealbreaker, there is nothing normal about an attached man, hanging on a dating site, it's sick.

Take good care of yourself, love to you Katie
Old 08-31-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Yes. But I also don't think you can stop one behavior without having something to replace it. For whatever reason, this person has learned to use lying as a coping mechanism. There has to be a better way. I've never had kids, so I don't know how you guide a small child through the 'lying is bad' stage, but this is a grown man, so I'm thinking something along the lines of "If you feel the best thing to do is to tell me a lie to make things better, please just stop and say 'I need a walk' or some other action. This will tell me that you need some time to be able to answer, and I will stop, and give you that time.

I don't know how else to approach it, and I don't know how else to give him the tools he needs to change his behavior, if it is something he wants to change.

Replacing bad behavior with good behavior. That's been my replacement. As best as I can. Some of my bad behaviors were coping mechanisms. Not only did they quit working but I was causing harm to myself and the people that loved me. I made changes. It took work and still does to this day. I had to do the work with the honest help of friends. Not hand holding.

You shouldn't have to guide a grown man through something he already knows is wrong. I don't get the logic.

YOU don't need to give a grown man the tools to change his behavior. If he's in recovery, hopefully he has sober friends he can talk with or a sponsor. It's not up to you to make sure he does or remind him that he should seek out their help.

I'll say this again. This is not about his behaviors, or how you can help him change, or what you can do to make it easier for him. This is about YOU and your thinking and what you are willing to put up with in a relationship. For me, lying is a deal breaker. In the past it wasn't so I do understand.

My point is that you should consider focusing on you and your boundaries and what is acceptable to you.

In my experience, focusing on how you can change someone else will cause you to lose yourself.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

And many people are willing to be lied to. It's a team effort.
Not really. You see, alcoholics lie to themselves to justify the addiction. It's part of the disease process in the brain. It's denial. They lie to themselves first and foremost, which is what makes them very good liars, better than non-alcoholics. And it takes a while to get to know someone well enough to see through the facade alcoholics (and many recovering alcoholics) construct.

You are seeing the chinks in his armor now. 8 months is probably faster than most. Took me 18 months, and no I was not willing to be lied to. I just made an assumption that he was a grown man and took him at his word. When his words no longer matched the actions, I had some serious decisions to make.

What I see here more often than not are people, men and women alike, trying to slug through the process of making those same serious decisions. And not a one of them is willing to be lied to.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Still listening.

What I've gotten so far:
Do not lose myself.
Do not forget that this is a person and must run his own life.
Firmly define my own boundaries for myself, and do not compromise them.

I will let him know what parts of his behavior do not work for me, and will not accept them if he chooses not to change them.
I will discuss our relationship, it's boundaries and definitions, and how we both will proceed.

I am his friend, not his mother or his therapist.

What other parts of your (very kind and helpful) messages have I missed?