re: hard to let go

Old 08-30-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I find myself soooooooo furious and angry that someone is able to be so deluded and irrational. He is soo selfish and everything is about him and his issues and anxieties. This is literally the most head games I have seen coming from a person and the part i dont understand..is he actually doesnt see thru the ********..all the crazy ideas and guilt trips and manipulations swimming in his head..he believes them as truth!! it boggles my mind..so frustrating.
It is frustrating. Here's an old post that helped me let go of my fury and actually approach something that resembles compassion:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...onder-why.html
Old 08-30-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Originally Posted by Randy32 View Post
He is soo selfish and everything is about him and his issues and anxieties.
This is EXACTLY how AXBF is. Living with him was a nightmare.

This is literally the most head games I have seen coming from a person and the part i dont understand..is he actually doesnt see thru the ********..all the crazy ideas and guilt trips and manipulations swimming in his head..he believes them as truth!! it boggles my mind..so frustrating.
He KNOWS he is guilt-tripping and manipulating you. The point is not that he believes them as truth; it's that he knows exactly what he is doing. It's the way he relates to other people.

will there ever be a time when he wakes up and looks himself in the mirror and sees himself for that sad insecure little boy that he is and realizes all the crap he pulled was the reason he lost this relationship?
Doubtful. People like this use other people, don't care how other people feel, do and take what they want and move on.

I guess it just feels a bit like ive run a marathon..all this emotional output and no reward!..where is the justice in that..he still has no clue and will take ZERO responsibility for his beavior.
Right. And I bet you are ULTRA responsible, aren't you? They seek us out because they know we will be the responsible one and take care of everything for us. They're not dependent on us, they USE us. There is no justice and there is no fun or reward in being used by someone to take care of them so they can continue being effed up.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

P.S. Thank you so much for posting on SR. Your words are truly helping me today.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leise View Post
I didn't realize you could go out and buy cancer at the liquor store....
One of the best lines I've ever read on SR was something to the effect of "I wouldn't leave you because you had cancer, but I would leave if you kept going out & buying more cancer".

I used to think of addicts the same as those suffering from other ailments & diseases but this totally changed my perspective.

Randy - I can practically feel the frustration in your posts & that's something most of us are too familiar with. I wish I could give you some clear-cut logical answer but I've learned enough to know there's nothing logical about this circular back-n-forth dance of addiction & codependency. Trying to 'figure it out' is literally like trying to make sense out of madness.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

except for one thing. He has a problem maintaining control when he drinks and drins himself into oblivion and makes really bad choices. Usually able to tone it down around me but when he is out with his friends he loses it and some pretty scary shady stuff has happened ( waking up/ passing out in a ditch on the side of the highway, driving intoxicated, extremely poor judgement, missing major life events because of alcohol)
Alcoholics can't maintain control, that's what makes them alcoholics. They can "tone it down" for a while but can't actually control it. When they're out of control, it is hard for them to have any sense of good judgement. Probably closer to impossible.

he has been in treatment for drinking but maintains that he can manage himself and continues to drink. he is absolutlely not able to maintain control
When they are actively drinking, they all think they can manage it. They want so desperately to believe that they can, that no matter how out of control they are, they think they are in control.

Just wondering how hard it is to support someone like his. he always says he wont drink anymore and then he does and somthing bad happens..

I feel sad to let him go..is there any way this can work? or should I just cut my losses and try and find someone who is compatable but does not have these issues...help!
It is damn near impossible to "support" someone who is an active alcoholic. He TAKES from you what he needs. Of course he promises not to drink, he probably really doesn't want to, but he HAS to. Can it work? Sure it can "work" as long as you accept that this will continue exactly as it has been. If you accept that "something bad" will always happen & thats OK with you, it will "work". If you can accept the chaos, the never ending worry & heartbreak & manage to be happy, then yes, it will "work". If you want to be second fiddle to a disease & don't need any more than that, it will "work". It is your choice whether this is good enough for you or you want more out of a relationship.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
One of the best lines I've ever read on SR was something to the effect of "I wouldn't leave you because you had cancer, but I would leave if you kept going out & buying more cancer".
Ohhhhh...... I love this one SOOOOO much!
Old 08-30-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

When you think about "going back for more" you are probably focusing on the good parts of the relationship. Honestly I still love my ex, but my life is so much more peaceful than it has been in a while. It sucks but I think I am better off -- especially now that the initial pain of it all is mostly behind me.
One of the more painful things I've discovered about myself is that I kept going back because part of me really liked the excitement of drama, break ups, make ups, promises, and shared fantasies. Sometimes the excitement was fun, sometimes the excitement was anxiety. Regardless, I got off on the excitement.

No mas.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Randy32;355

will there ever be a time when he wakes up and looks himself in the mirror and sees himself for that sad insecure little boy that he is and realizes all the crap he pulled was the reason he lost this relationship? I guess it just feels a bit like ive run a marathon..all this emotional output and no reward!..where is the justice in that..he still has no clue and will take ZERO responsibility for his beavior.

what a mind trip.[/QUOTE]

I would have to say no. My axbf was an expert at blaming everyone else for his problems, for example his ex wife was an "evil witch" for divorcing him. He was great at portraying himself as a victim. I understand your sense of bewilderment and anger and ultimately there is no reward for you aside from not having to put up with this stupid crap. I went through 3 years of letting myself be manipulated and I just wish I had ended things ages ago..... what can you do? Just accept him as fundamentally flawed and move on.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hang in there Randy.
You are very smart to be putting this guy in your past.
There's nothing there for you except heartache and a dark trip down the rabbit hole.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

YOu are all awesome for taking the time to write!...The support from this site has reinforced so much of what i was already feeling and boosted my confidence bigtime. I am at peace putting this person behind me and moving forward and focusing on someone who is able to offer me a bit more stability and security. I anticipate a few down days, as it is not always easy to JUST go cold turkey..there was some good there..but thankfully there was enough BS for me to run the like the wind in the opposite direction of this soul sucker and not look back!! time to focus on me and the honest real, mature, uplifting love that Im hoping for.

Thanks everyone.