Ding! A light went on

Old 01-14-2004, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Ding! A light went on

Well I've been working on my fourth step for about a week now. I'm taking it a little at a time. That's pretty hard for me. I like instant gratification. I am also being gentle with myself. I am actually detaching from the inventory, if that makes sense. I really thought hard about what an inventory is. In a store, you check the stock to see how much of each thing you have. Then you figure out what you need to have more of. Funny that I never thought of a personal inventory that way. Every time I would think of the past, I would get all upset and shut down. Now I realize I don't have to condemn myself. I can improve myself, but what's there doesn't have to devastate me any more. It has no more power over me than anything else. If I can detach from people, I can detach from the past. This isn't nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be. It's actually kind of exciting. I owe a lot of this to you guys. Thanks for all the support! BIG hug! Magic
Old 01-14-2004, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
believer

Hi Magic,

Good for you! Once I stopped dreading my 4th step, it became easier to tackle. I might even finish it one day!

You brought up a very good point about detaching from the past. Whatever we went through, it wasn't our fault and we can't be blamed for the things that happened to us. Once we accept that, it becomes easier to examine and understand how the past affected us.

I'd say you're off to a great start!

Hugs,
JG
Old 01-14-2004, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Thanks JG! All the support and encouragement has really filled a need in me that seems to have always been there.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is a great analogy

Taking inventory just means taking stock... seeing what's selling and what's not selling - and making adjustments. What's done is done. It's what we choose to do from this point on that matters.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 01-15-2004, 04:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Gabe
I like it too. I like to complicate things. The past few months I've tried to look at things from a different perspective. I guess when you're desperate you'll try anything. I always thought detaching meant running away or avoiding. Actually I was pretty good at that. Funny(strange not ha ha) when you stop running away and start listening you can hear. How come we have to get so beat down before we can find what we are looking for?
By the way, I checked out the newcomers chat last night. It was the first time I've ever been to a chat. It moves fast and people are going in all directions. It was kind of fun, but I'm an old codger. I can't think that fast. Example: It took me 20 years to start making sense of the program. Oh well, I'll probably go back and check it out again. Maybe i'll get the hang of that a little quicker! XXOO, Magic