SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Proud of myself (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/265888-proud-myself.html)

Lulu39 08-20-2012 04:32 PM

Proud of myself

I have done something I need to share with someone and I have no-one to share it with so I'm putting it here :)

By next Thursday I will have paid off my car! :banana: 6 months early! When I called for an update on how I was doing with the repayments I was so surprised!

Nearly 5 years ago STBXAH smashed my car, and of course minimised the damage "It's just a ding" - it was damaged so much I had to sell it for scrap.

So, 4.5 years ago when he was sleeping off another drunken rampage, I went out by myself and bought myself another car without even discussing it with him. The car was and still is a POS. But by next Thursday it will be all mine.

By the end of September I will also have paid off debts in my name that he managed to rack up by losing job after job and not contributing. MY credit rating will be clean, his will still be a mess HA HA LOSER. But, because he will be gone by then, I will be free and clear to get myself a decent car and get rid of my very own POS.

I haven't breathed a word to him. If he knew he would see the $$$ signs and try to stick around to suck even more $$$ out of me.

Seren 08-20-2012 04:39 PM

Lulu!!! That really is a fantastic accomplishment!!!!

It took planning and discipline to pull that off. You should be proud!

Shadydeal 08-20-2012 04:57 PM

Good job! Good for you!

Learn2Live 08-20-2012 05:02 PM

Good for you LuLu!!! Now, if it were me, I'd drive it for at least a little while after paying it off, to put some money in the bank, before buying a new one :)

BobbyJ 08-20-2012 11:13 PM

Good for you :)

SoBroken 08-21-2012 06:37 AM

You set a goal for yourself and you achieved it!! Is there any better self esteem booster than that! GOOD JOB!! Hold your head high, girl!

lizatola 08-21-2012 07:23 AM

YAY! My car has been paid off for a while and it's the greatest feeling in the world to know it's paid off! Congratulations to you!

rdlesstraveled 08-21-2012 07:50 AM

great job!!! Awesome!!!!!!!!!:You_Rock_:a122:

m1k3 08-21-2012 08:10 AM

:c011:

Way to go!

Your friend,

LuvMySis 08-21-2012 08:19 AM

Congrats, Lulu! And I agree with L2L - drive it payment-free for awhile.

My old car is paid off and looking pretty bad. But every day I drive it as is, is another day I don't have a car payment. It gets pretty good gas mileage, and the insurance is cheap. I don't have to worry about door dings, coffee spills, and other stuff.

:You_Rock_

BlueSkies1 08-21-2012 08:56 AM

Congrats on owning your very own POS...LOL...I have one too!

FireSprite 08-21-2012 09:15 AM

:You_Rock_ Congrats!!!

MuttisGirl 08-21-2012 09:42 AM

CONGRATULATIONS !!! :grouphug: Proud of you to say the least!!! Enjoy !!!

fedup3 08-21-2012 11:25 AM

YEAH!! :You_Rock_

NWGRITS 08-21-2012 10:57 PM

Congratulations! I'm hoping to be there in the next year. My car may be a POS, but it's my POS. I'm still trying to recover my credit from when I stupidly let AM borrow my credit card. She promised she'd pay me back for it, and maxed it out. I never saw a penny. Naturally, my grandmother called me ungrateful when I asked for the money because "Look at all the stuff she's bought for you, you little brat." I countered with, "Yeah, but that doesn't pay down HER balance on MY card, and it doesn't hurt HER credit score." Futile argument, but I still bit into it. Anywho, congratulations again! Definitely a reason to celebrate!

Lulu39 08-22-2012 04:28 AM

Thanks comrades!

I did have a peek at some shiny almost new cars, because I should be able to afford one with him going, going gone...however, I also thought about the fact that I could drive this POS until it craps out and dies and SAVE the payments I would have paid. I could save 15K in 4.5 years and still eat.

Boggles the mind it does.:bigok:

Learn2Live 08-22-2012 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lulu39 (Post 3543598)
I could save 15K in 4.5 years and still eat.

IDK how old you are but I did this quick computation for you: Assuming you are 40 years old and stop working at age 67.5 years, if you take just that 15K (which you'll have in 4.5 years) and invest it for 13 more years with an interest rate of 5.00% compounded Monthly, and make no additional deposits, you would have a Final Savings Balance at age 67.5 years of $29,129.20

If you added an additional $100 per month at the same rate, your Final Savings Balance would be $36,523.56

Drive that car till it won't go anymore :)

Read more: Simple savings calculator -- Bankrate.com Simple savings calculator -- Bankrate.com