SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Emotional Freedom Technique (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/265149-emotional-freedom-technique.html)

Learn2Live 08-12-2012 07:24 AM

Emotional Freedom Technique

A few days ago, someone here posted a link to a webpage that described Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT), which I had never heard of before. First, thank you to whomever that was who posted it. I have tried it for a few days now and have found it actually works. I am rather in disbelief about it, as I have suffered for many, many years from what is called "emotional dysregulation," and have truly been suffering for months now. I can't describe exactly what it does for me or how it works, I can only say that it is helping me by reducing the mental and emotional anguish, and somehow allowing me to function at a higher level.

Here is a link to a brief introduction to show you how to do the tapping:
Tapping (EFT) Manual – Tapping Points and Instructions

Here is a link to the YouTube page for Brad Yates' "Need and Attachment." He is "eftwizard" on YouTube. If you click on the number of videos button under the video title, it will take you to a library of his many videos. When you find one of Brad's videos that apply to your current situation, you follow along with him, tapping where he is tapping and repeating the affirmations he says throughout.

Need and Attachment - Tapping with Brad Yates - YouTube

I hope this is helpful to you. Please try it for a few days and let me know if it works for you too.

Shadydeal 08-12-2012 07:35 AM

Thank you! I am certainly going to give it a shot!

seek 08-12-2012 07:38 AM

I am the person who posted the info on EFT - and I also like Brad Yates. It is an amazing, free, accessible procedure that anyone can do at any time for any issue.

So glad it is working for you.

Learn2Live 08-12-2012 07:44 AM

Let me know how it works for you Sassydog!

Learn2Live 08-12-2012 07:44 AM

Thanks Seek! No hard feelings about the other night.

lizatola 08-12-2012 08:34 AM

My aunt is certified to practice this on people. She used the technique to get over her fear of flying(among other things) and she's helped me over the phone to use it for my son when his anxiety was high. I haven't made use of it as much as I should. I think it's a tool that can be used like anything else and you never know if it will help you unless you try.

scacra1 08-12-2012 10:36 AM

Ill try anything so thanks for this. I will give it a go.

JrsJourney 08-12-2012 10:40 AM

OOOOoooooOOOOOooooooH!! I have HEARD about this before. So many have said it works for them. I definitely need to try this. THANK YOU so much for the linky's. I always wanted to look further into this and always forgot so thanks. This is awesome :)

dancingnow 08-12-2012 11:00 AM

Yes, EFT has worked to help me get out of the spiral of low self-esteem from some FOO issues.

Thanks for these additional links, I will look into them. I don't remember when I was introduced to EFT from some website on the web and also I recently checked out the Gary Craig websites.

I do think it helps and has to do with energy flowing through me and not getting stuck in a bad way.

Bluebonnet1 08-12-2012 05:52 PM

Yes! I've done this with 2 different therapists to help with self esteem issues. I didn't know there were so many online resources! It does indeed work. Thanks for the reminder! Like Liz, I certainly don't utilize it often enough.

Learn2Live 08-12-2012 06:38 PM

I am going to do it every day :)

Inthepit108 08-12-2012 07:23 PM

I just did two EFT exercises on the internet with Brad Yates, one on rejection and abandonment and I cried so hard, releases so many pent up emotions since childhood and then i did one on not being able to control things and that i will be ok. I feel better already. Thank you for introducing me to this. I plan to make this part of my life.

seek 08-12-2012 10:35 PM

EFT is really the best thing since sliced bread and it's FREE - and you can get relief in minutes.

If you do it daily, you can clear years and years of stuff . . . it is amazing.

There is something called the "Personal Peace Procedure" you might be interested in if you want to tap through every trauma in your life . . . you can look it up on search engines and in YouTube . . .

If you put whatever your problem is and EFT into the YouTube search engine, a bunch of results will come up and you can try different practitioners . . .I have gotten relief from every single time I have ever done it.

Drink lots of water and if you want to, before you start, rate the intensity of the problem on a scale from one to ten, then after you do one round see where you are and then do more rounds until there is no charge . . .(if the spirit moves you).

If you can't sleep - EFT - if you have resentment - EFT - whatever ails you. I get lazy or I would be tapping constantly . . .

I usually mention it so much I think I am a broken record, and honestly, you have gotten a great response here . . .I am happy it is catching on. The more healthy people, the better for all of us.

mmk11 08-13-2012 11:47 AM

I tried this 5-6 years ago but with no luck. Also tried EMDR with a counselor and didnt produce the results my counselor had indicated.

With where I am now - emotionally, mentally, spiritually - I would like to give it another shot, thank you for sharing! I'm inspired that it is helping you L2L.

Learn2Live 08-13-2012 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Inthepit108 (Post 3531055)
I just did two EFT exercises on the internet with Brad Yates, one on rejection and abandonment and I cried so hard, releases so many pent up emotions since childhood and then i did one on not being able to control things and that i will be ok. I feel better already. Thank you for introducing me to this. I plan to make this part of my life.

The crying happened to me when I did the Grief one. I'm glad it is helping you too. I had no idea this even existed.

Learn2Live 08-13-2012 12:06 PM

I wanted to get up this morning and do one first thing but I wasn't able :( I am still walking around with a blank face, very unhappy. At least I am not crying all day anymore though. I want to see if there is one that will somehow help me get angry and release that.

fedup3 08-13-2012 12:09 PM

I'm trying the EMDR right now with my therapist so I will let you know if it works seeing it's only been one time so far. I'll check out the EFT as well, thanks.

Shadydeal 08-16-2012 09:17 PM

I have also started EMDR with my counselor. The reviews are good and I am willing to try anything, I watched a little of this and tried it ....seems to work. However need to really watch it again and use it. Will let you know how both work out for me.

seek 08-16-2012 11:12 PM

With the EFT you are clearing stuff in rounds and layers, as you wish . . .you can use it for acute stress issues, or to clear deep traumas. It's definitely worthwhile. The world is discovering it now and it will soon go viral in terms of knowledge and understanding - that we the people have power and don't have to rely on "experts" for everything . . . it's nice because it's so accessible and effective.

sosickofcycle 08-17-2012 08:28 AM

I just did one, and feel better already! :) I was smiling as I finished it! LOVE IT! Thanks you guys!