Maybe its a start?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Maybe its a start?

Im back home with the children. Hubby and I had a good long visit, not without its emotions, but not in a bad way. He shared with me his visit with his doctor who prescribed him anti-anxiety medication to help him with stress. The doc also suggested counseling for him as well as for the both of us. He let my hubby know he would be keeping in contact with him to see how he is or isn't progressing. It seems to be a good start, but I know from listening to all of you with vast more experience in this arena than I have that talk is cheap. So, I will wait and watch while I pray and keep my children informed. Hubby and I will also be making a list of things we can cut out of our schedules that are just not important enough to keep around with the stress it brings into our lives. Just trying to de-stress. I know, and he knows, life is stressful and he has to learn to cope without alcohol.
On another note, he looks good. His eyes didn't look bloodshot and glassy-like. Overall his appearance looked healthier than I've seen in a long while. I'm grateful for that.
Meanwhile, at the suggestion yesterday of Spes, I did purchase a couple of books. The first, Understanding the High Functioning Alcoholic by Sara Benton, then Codependent No More by Melody Beattie. That should keep me busy. I let hubby know I was reading the first and thought he should read it too. So much of it sounds like him in many ways, in others not so much.
Just praying for miracles.

Katchie
Old 08-06-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I forgot to add... I told him during our conversation that alcohol of any kind was no longer welcome in our home. That because I have seen the destruction alcohol has had on family members on both sides of my family, I would not tolerate it in any form at home any longer. He replied, ok.

I know, wait and watch.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Anti-anxiety medication is another mood alternating drug (like alcohol) and is addictive. It won't lead to sobriety, only putting down alcohol and drugs leads to sobriety. I suggest seeing a doctor who specializes in addiction (Google should help you find one). What's important is your own recovery and it sounds like you're on the right path. Al-anon would be a big help as well.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
Anti-anxiety medication is another mood alternating drug (like alcohol) and is addictive. It won't lead to sobriety, only putting down alcohol and drugs leads to sobriety. I suggest seeing a doctor who specializes in addiction (Google should help you find one). What's important is your own recovery and it sounds like you're on the right path. Al-anon would be a big help as well.
UGH! That was my first thought when he told me about it. His doctor did say that he would possibly refer him to another physician who specializes in addiction. I will urge him to do that. He took his first anti anxiety pill and didn't like how it made him feel. I didn't like the way it made him so sleepy.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My biggest concern about meds is possible interaction with alcohol. My husband has been prescribed an anti-anxiety med to be used as a sleep aid. But because it came with a severe warning against use with alcohol, he's chosen to stick with the alcohol. I'm not making a fuss about his choice, since I would hate for him to start mixing the two.