Moving On

Old 07-30-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moving On

I have two internet dates this week and I have tried to make it clear that I do not wish to date someone who drinks a lot or is always hanging out in bars.

I don't know if these will turn into anything but I have set my intentions. No more people with active addictions and/or angry mood swings, I can't take anymore...

It feels good to at least focus my energies elsewhere and not on the disaster of the last relationship with the axbf.

wish me luck!
Old 07-30-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZiggyB View Post
I have two internet dates this week and I have tried to make it clear that I do not wish to date someone who drinks a lot or is always hanging out in bars.

I don't know if these will turn into anything but I have set my intentions. No more people with active addictions and/or angry mood swings, I can't take anymore...

It feels good to at least focus my energies elsewhere and not on the disaster of the last relationship with the axbf.

wish me luck!
Good for you Ziggy. I have no interest in dating as of now, and I am in the middle of the legal divorce quagmire for a while. But at some point, I will move on like yourself and I feel the same, no more chemical dependency BS for me, in relationships.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck.

I know your wounds from your axbf are still fresh. Have you considered taking a little time off of dating and spending a little time alone and healing.

I am slowly wandering back into the dating world, I moved out of exA's home over a year ago and completely cut ties a few months ago. I have learned alot about myself in the past few months, including that I don't need a "significant other" to complete me.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Everyone goes at their own pace, and there are those who are happier in a relationship....
Old 07-30-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Good luck Ziggy!

I consider myself a success story for online dating. I am in a committed relationship that is open, honest, and free of chemicals ~ and we met through an online dating site.

I say: Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

I say that because I needed to know what I wanted before I began answering the messages. I was looking for companionship in the beginning. Therefore, I did not want a date with someone who was looking for marriage. I wanted someone who wanted to go out to an occassional dinner, a night at the theatre or a trip down the river in kayaks ~ and then I wanted to be left alone while I focused on family, school and career.

That eliminated a few dates right there.

Here is an example of how it can go wrong if we want different outcomes:
I went on a date with a man and he was well respected in our community. We talked on the phone a few times and met in public to chat a few times. My first red flag was that he wanted to talk to me everyday on the phone. Then we went out on a date. On our first date he talked about his plans for our future after we got married. What??? Then he kept asking me when we could see each other again, tomorrow? I joked with him that he must be harder to get rid of than bubblegum off the bottom of a shoe. Guess what......I was right.

I felt we had different intentions and stated that fact. I told him that we were looking for different outcomes from dating. I felt it was best not to continue dating. I had the hardest time getting him to accept that I didn't want to go out on any more dates with him. ugh!

It turned out okay in the end as we did remain friends after a period of no contact.

I found this thread posted on SR to be helpful in remembering to check my standard requirements on potential companions versus the future potential of companions who didn't meet my standard requrements:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...oceed-2-a.html
Old 07-30-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by XXXXXXXXXX View Post
Good luck.

I know your wounds from your axbf are still fresh. Have you considered taking a little time off of dating and spending a little time alone and healing.

I am slowly wandering back into the dating world, I moved out of exA's home over a year ago and completely cut ties a few months ago. I have learned alot about myself in the past few months, including that I don't need a "significant other" to complete me.
I don't think I need to get myself involved in a serious relationship right now, just want to meet new people and have some fun. If that starts feeling wrong I'll take a break... thanks for your advice.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
be careful. in every way possible. you might not be emotionally ready to be objective (ie on the rebound, just trying to find someone that isn't your ex) and on the interent people can present themselves in ways that have NOTHING to do with reality. stay in public places, do not reveal personal info, i'd be careful about them even walking me to my car.
Yes, don't worry I will be careful and plan to take things slowly. :-D
Old 07-30-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good luck, and I second being very careful...keep us posted! ; )
Old 07-30-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Good luck Ziggy!

Here is an example of how it can go wrong if we want different outcomes:
I went on a date with a man and he was well respected in our community. We talked on the phone a few times and met in public to chat a few times. My first red flag was that he wanted to talk to me everyday on the phone. Then we went out on a date. On our first date he talked about his plans for our future after we got married. What??? Then he kept asking me when we could see each other again, tomorrow? I joked with him that he must be harder to get rid of than bubblegum off the bottom of a shoe. Guess what......I was right. [/url]
Yeah I have done this before and I can find some people are SO needy and clingy right from the get go. I'm not interested in people like that. I was married once and don't feel the need to do it again anytime soon. Glad you found someone who you can get along with. I will be VERY careful of red flags in the future. *sigh*
Old 07-30-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I met my husband on an on-line dating service. I was adamant that I was not interested in anyone who had an addiction or emotional problems. Several of the men I met were active alcoholics and were easy to "out". The one I married, after dating 1 1/2 years, turned out to be a drunk. He hid his drinking very well until we returned from the honeymoon. The following morning he returned from his business staggering drunk at 10AM. It has been a nightmare since then. SO BE CAREFUL! If you know how to do back ground checks, I suggest that you do this. Deception is the nature of the beast.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by krisjbhm View Post
I met my husband on an on-line dating service. I was adamant that I was not interested in anyone who had an addiction or emotional problems. Several of the men I met were active alcoholics and were easy to "out". The one I married, after dating 1 1/2 years, turned out to be a drunk. He hid his drinking very well until we returned from the honeymoon. The following morning he returned from his business staggering drunk at 10AM. It has been a nightmare since then. SO BE CAREFUL! If you know how to do back ground checks, I suggest that you do this. Deception is the nature of the beast.
Oh wow, that sucks.....
But how can you background check someone for a drinking problem? It isn't illegal or anything...
Old 07-30-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Let Go or Be Dragged

ZB - yup take it slow and BE CAREFUL. I thought i had all bases covered, did all my homework - background checks, personal references, etc....
Guess what - i still got burned. He hid it soooo well. My tip would be this: if u "think" u "maybe" saw a "possible" red flag pop up...YOU DID. That is where i went wrong...Giving him the benefit of the doubt cuz i just really wasnt 100% positive. Before i knew it i was sucked in so deep i was a complete WRECK. still trying to fight my way out. if you see anything that even remotely resembles a red flag RUN RUN RUN.
that being said - Best of luck - i truly hope u find happiness, you so deserve it!
Old 07-30-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Check for DUI's maybe?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh wow, that sucks.....
But how can you background check someone for a drinking problem? It isn't illegal or anything...
Try this. 1. Check your local county jail inmate look up. 2. Get his first and last name, check with local county sheriff's dept. for any warrants...3. Check your local state penitentiary with his first and last name....

If all those are clear, go on a date with him where there is alcohol served and gauge....maybe even cab it, and see what he drinks. My ex went with me to a wedding reception and drank 7-8 beers and then more after at home, and sadly, this was the beginning of the end for us. We lasted only a few weeks after that.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh wow, that sucks.....
Watch for the red flags...you know...the ones we all overlooked the first time around! And check public records for any arrests/cases/tickets/RO's, etc.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Watch for the red flags...you know...the ones we all overlooked the first time around! And check public records for any arrests/cases/tickets/RO's, etc.
*Sigh*
I know, there were lots of red flags and I did overlook them. There is something so compelling about someone who claims to be in love with you and wants to work things out no matter what....
Old 07-30-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I didn't spot any red flags until many years into our marriage. I thought I knew what to look for, but didn't have any real experience or much knowledge about addiction or alcoholism. No sense beating myself up over it. I'm getting that experience and knowledge now.

Thank goodness that my ignorance is curable.

Good Luck ZiggyB!
Old 07-30-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What's compelling about them is...

...that they are either codependent, alcoholic/addicts, or both. That's exactly what "work things out no matter what" means.

Cyranoak

*Sigh*
I know, there were lots of red flags and I did overlook them. There is something so compelling about someone who claims to be in love with you and wants to work things out no matter what....
Old 07-30-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post
...that they are either codependent, alcoholic/addicts, or both. That's exactly what "work things out no matter what" means.

Cyranoak
Well, I am somewhat of a hopeless romantic, but alas reality has finally set in...

"No matter what" should not mean I am miserable.