I cried at Al Anon tonight...

Old 07-27-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I cried at Al Anon tonight...

Went to my Al Anon meeting tonight- we had Open discussion.
It was the first time that I opened up and spoke for more than a minute- it went well, and I felt relieved and strong after it. So I found it really disturbing when I cried after a new member introduced herself. She is young- and joined Al Anon because she has fallen in love with a recovering alcoholic! It took all of my power to not shout out run- and then I felt total despair when I thought of what she might endure in the future! Speaking to the other married members there(after she left)- it seems that we all felt that way.

It was a stark reminder to us all that wherever you are in your recovery- the hurt and pain is still there. Maybe it was a message from my HP that I have further issues I need to work on! The girl is the same age as my daughter, and it is my dearest wish for both of them that they do not have to go through any marriage with an A.

Just needed to share this for a reason- thanks.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

AWwwww Loopy thanks so much for sharing.

You have so much compassion, please reserve some for you

Have a peaceful weekend. Katie xo
Old 07-27-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you for this, loopy. i was only with my xabf for about two years, and i remember very clearly feeling like i hadn't "earned" my seat around the al-anon table the first time i went to a meeting. my xabf recently broke up with me again and kicked me out, after living together for six months. i decided i needed to return to al-anon for me, and at my first meeting back, i did nothing but cry. i finally felt like i fit in as i listened to another member share a story that matched one of my own perfectly. hurts like hell loving an alcoholic!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

At my first al-anon meeting, many years ago, there was a beginners group. One young woman cried her eyes out, and I was so envious. She could let go and feel her feelings. She became one of my very truest friends to this day. Sometimes our meetings teach us more than what we first think. Now when I hear scarey stories I want to say "RUN", but I know that we all have to live out own stories. But if I feel that "RUN" is the right answer for a beginner, I say it. Kindly.............
Old 07-27-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Please don't hold those tears back.
Especially in a meeting.

I can't tell you how much support *I* feel when I see someone else being brave enough to express raw emotion. Often, it feels like a hall pass for me to do the same.

I have oodles of respect for the men and women who come into meetings and just unleash how they feel RIGHT NOW.

I don't think tears are meant to be a private affair.
If they were, we would cry on the inside.

Thank you for being brave enough to show them.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RNAlanon

Same thing happened at my meeting!! But I was the one with the wobbly lipmn sobbed with that "crying" face and voice.