O/T: Dogs

Old 07-27-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

O/T: Dogs

As I read around this site, it seems an awful lot of us have dogs. In hindsight, I got our first dog right around the time I realized my AH was in an alcoholic. Did I do it for the undying devotion you get from a dog? Was it to replace my emotionally unavailable AH?

When that dog died, I couldn't wait to replace it. My head said wait a bit and grieve, but I felt desperate to get another one. (Maybe, just desperate!)

When I feel overwhelmed, NOTHING gets me level again better than a walk in the woods with my dog.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is so true!

We raised mini-schnauzer puppies for 20 years, and I have the last of the line, and I think she is the best of all!

Last night, as I struggled with the computer accounting program, I gave her a little rawhide bone to eat in the kitchen so it didn't stain the carpet.

She snuck it into the living room. I took it back to the kitchen. She knows many words, so I said "Bone. Kitchen. Stay." She waited until I was busy, brought it back again, and we did that again and again.

Then she snuck it into another room. Back to the kitchen it went. "Stay. Bone. Kitchen." Then she snuck it into the other room, and as I came to take it, she ran into the hall so I couldn't see her, and we had quite a chase, round and round the circle from room to room. She made me laugh. She gave up.

When I got up from my chair to go to bed, there was the bone under my chair. She won.

Sure made the discouraging bookkeeping feel better!

BothSidesNow
Old 07-27-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Let Go or Be Dragged

yup. I couldnt agree more! He's always happy to see me, a fantastic listener, a GREAT snuggler, minimal snoring...What more could i ever need!??
Old 07-27-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you replace "dog" with "Quaker Parrot" I'm in. Ours likes nothing more than to be cuddled and petted. If he's not getting enough attention he'll climb down off his cage and walk into whichever room we are sitting in

Oops...cuddling is actually his second fave thing...I think being fed whatever we're eating may top that.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My dogs keep me busy. They make sure I get up every morning at the same time (even on the weekends!) and that I get plenty of exercise (with them, of course). They help me practice food portion control by expecting whatever I have will be shared with them. And most importantly, they show me every day how to live in the moment.

On the other hand, one just ate my couch cushion. *SIGH*
Old 07-27-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

I can't tell u how much I love my dogs and the utter pleasure they give, totally unconditional love. My dogs go with me everywhere, I love them so much, they can be better than people.
when I lost my Susie my world fell apart. I had to get a little doggie to fill that space in my heart. I now have Maisie my gorgeous beautiful little jack Russell. Eddie is 15 this year x
Old 07-27-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
My dogs keep me busy. They make sure I get up every morning at the same time (even on the weekends!) and that I get plenty of exercise (with them, of course). They help me practice food portion control by expecting whatever I have will be shared with them. And most importantly, they show me every day how to live in the moment.

On the other hand, one just ate my couch cushion. *SIGH*
Yes, by the way, Maisie has chewed every single cushion in my lounge!!!! Naughty girl, but I still love her.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If it weren't for my dogs, my wife would have completely fallen apart during my stay in 2 psych wards and rehab over 4 years ago. We have talked about it several times. It is amazing how dogs can sense when we need them. They did not leave her side while I was gone.

A dog's unconditional love is impossible for me to understand.

We humans can learn a lot from those crazy mutts!
Old 07-27-2012, 10:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

my 2 dogs and cat (who thinks he is a dog) are always by my side. They: love me unconditionally, lick away my tears, depend on me, don't judge me, don't care if I don't have on make-up or look my best, don't break promises or check out other women.

True love!!! xoxoxoxoxo
Old 07-27-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love my dog to bits...He is my best mate and he really helps keep me sober...
Old 07-27-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
I love my dog to bits...He is my best mate and he really helps keep me sober...
And he's beautiful!

I love my pitbulls - even when they are really challenging. My 8 mo old is the most thick-headed stubborn dog I've had yet.

But he also knows how to snuggle! ; )
Old 07-27-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love my dogs so much. They remind me to live in the moment and be happy. For them, life is so simple. They remind me to slow down and be joyful. They bring me and my kids smiles and happiness all day long!

On Valentine's Day my children and I adopted a 13 year old Lab X from the shelter. She was quite traumatized and depressed from 2 months in the pound; no one wanted her because she is old. Watching her blossom has been an incredible experience. She is so happy now, and she and our also 13 year old Lab X are the best of friends. Bella reminds me that life can go on and be wonderful even if our old life falls apart.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh yes, yes, yes. I can't imagine my life without a dog as part of it. I have two dogs right now and I truly don't know what I would do without them. They help keep me sane, they brighten my every day.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mine will be a year next month.

She is so much fun, sometimes drives me nuts, but my life is so wonderful because of her.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My miniature dachshund is a real treasure. She weighs ten pounds, in her mind she is fierce and the biggest dog in the neighborhood.
She has a chronic infection from her bad teeth (saving for her operation now) and sneezes constantly. It is funny when she has to back up because the sneeze is so overpowering!
I love my Minime.

Beth
Old 07-27-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I would love to have a dog but alas, life as a renter precludes some comforts. *sigh*

I think that's one of the reasons I'm out walking & hiking so much, to get to meet dogs.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

After my last dog died, it took over two years before I was ready to have another one. She was irreplaceable.

April of this year, I welcomed Luna the Yellow Lab into my life. I'm so happy I did. Next week we are taking a trip to the coast. I can't wait to show her the ocean....

L
Old 07-27-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh, a yellow lab? She will go bonkers over all that water, LTD!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just had to reply to this one. Pets are my life and work.

They are the best therapy every. My little orange pom has been with me and my AH boyfriend for 10 yrs. That little thing would get so mad when we had fights and would stay up all night waiting for him to come home after his binges before he got sober. She'd sleep on his bed pillow and wait for him to come home. OMG I think she is co dependent too!!

I had to get two others of my "own" so now I have 3 poms. Hard to have a bad day when you come home to their sweet faces and they are always glad to see you. They know no selfishness and give unconditional love....always.

I love hearing everyone's stories about their pets. Thank you for starting this thread. Pets are awesome therapy.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

In the past 3 years I have rescued three Mini Schnauzers and I always say I dont know I r really rescued them or they rescued me. I can't imagine my life without dogs in it.