Newlyweds, Husband on downward sprial.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by owathu View Post
It's not easy. I love this man so much. When he is sober, he is quite frankly one of the most beautiful persons I ever met. I'm hanging our love on who he is 20% of the time and ignoring the 80% staring me in the face.

He will be devastated when I leave. This I know, and that is what is holding me back. I don't want to ruin him. But what's better, I prop him up artificially? Trust me, I have thought of that. He doesn't beat me, if I don't confront him, he is so loving and affectionate...we could go on like this for decades. And the here I am, giving my life so he doesn't feel the pain of realizing he is a drunk. I can't do that to him either.
I experienced this. It took me awhile to realize though that I did not have the much control. He probably will be devastated if you leave....but is he really acting sane and normal now? It sounds like he is drinking now quite a bit, having blackouts (thus why he does not remember the next day).

Learning not to engage when he was drunk was really, really hard, because I just wanted to make it better. All it made me was more nuts though.

It feels important to mention the three Cs at this point.

I did not cause this
I cannot control this (even by doing everything "right" for him
I cannot cure this
Old 07-27-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Dont' worry about ruining him, he is well on his way to ruining you.

I mean that.

Good idea to get educated about alcohol, maybe get some real time support, al anon, counseling.

Think long and hard about how all of this is going to impact the rest of your life.

What you husband said to you is just the beginning, he will feed on your vunerabilities like snake.

As a newlywed, you should be enjoying and fantasizing about the future.

Honey, don't let this terrible beginning be your legacy.

sending you lots of love. Katie
Old 07-27-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I Feel For You

Being the hopeless romantic that I am, it hurts me to read this posting. I knew from the beginning of my marriage that my Wife liked to 'live it up', but figured that after settling into marriage, that things would change.

Unfortunately, they never really did change, and now things are slowly starting to go downhill.

I'm not sure what the future holds - if she gets to therapy like she says, then maybe things will improve.

I have a hard time imagining myself in a marriage where this disease is present and spend the next 30-40-50 years like that.

God Bless, and Good Luck