O/T cats

Old 07-13-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KRA

O/T cats

So since I've left xagf and started couch serfing, my cat has started to howel a lot. She has food, has water, has cat toys, gets petted. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on with her?

She's definitely better off than she was when we were with xagf, who hated her and once locked her in the bathroom with a large dog who didn't like cats. The dog, thankfully, didn't attack the cat.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Take her to the vet. She could be in pain, but in any case, she should be checked out to make sure it's nothing medical.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
KRA

Was planning on that, but need to wait a few weeks so I can come up with the $ to pay the vet. Was hoping someone might have a quick fix for the interim.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

My sister's cat began doing that and it turned out that she was suffering from thyroid disease. I am not suggesting that this is the same thing---I'm saying, really, that it could be one of a million things.
An internet search might help you to ballpark it a little bit better.

Please, let us know what it turns out to be!??

dandylion (catlover)
Old 07-13-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

How old is she? Is she spayed? If not, she could be coming into heat.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
KRA

She's between 9-11 years old. I dont know exactly. I've only had her for a few months. Her previous owner passed away. She is spayed.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

She could just be howling to howl. Some cats are more chatty than others. Hope she's ok either way.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

how is the litter box??? is she going normally? eating? drinking water? feel her belly, is it tight?

she might not be able to wait a few weeks if she is in pain....see if the vet will let you make payments? call animal rescue group.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Zee

Are you male?
Was previous owner female?
Possibly missing female scents/presence?

A good guage to know if an animal is ill, is when it stops eating.
I can't add any more to what Fandy has said. Spot on.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you for adopting an older animal! I agree with others that there could be many reasons for her howling. Fandy is right, it could be something that cannot wait a few weeks. Check with your local Humane Society, they often have low cost clinics. Wishing the best for your cat and you. Please keep us posted.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This might sound strange, but my dog after we lost our other dog really experienced some signs of grief. She had never carried things before in her mouth, and started to. She kept looking for him to come home.

Also both my dogs are very sensitive to my mood, and they have both calmed down a lot as I have recovered. We were all a little nuts for awhile though.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Couch surfing -- have you been moving around a lot with the cat? Cats are creatures of habit and it's traumatic for them to move ( not like dogs, which you can usually take anywhere.)

My cats have had a lot of transition in the last month as I sold my old place, moved in briefly with XABF while my new place was being finished, took them to a friend's house when xABF acted like an a** and then eventually moved into my new place. They have been very chatty and a bit freaked, but they are relaxing finally!
Old 07-14-2012, 04:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

mine don't like change of residence: new smells, having to get to know a new territory, trying to work out what is their territory, maybe fighting to defend one, not being master of their own movements, go out when they want, roam around familiar places: moving for humans is stressful, for cat's who haven't chosen it, much more so.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If you can't afford to take a poorly cat to the vet then you can't afford a cat.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm not sure where you are in NY, but you can find a listing of vet care assistance resources for New York on the Humane Society site here: Having Trouble Affording Your Pet? : The Humane Society of the United States.

I'm a dog person and not too aware of the behaviors of cats, but it really could be any number of things. Hoping the best for you and your cat!
Old 07-14-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
KRA

Originally Posted by akrasia View Post
If you can't afford to take a poorly cat to the vet then you can't afford a cat.
I took in the cat because she was deemed unadoptable because of her age and no one else wanted her; if I didn't take her, she would have been put down. She didn't have any known health problems when i took her in.

I didn't plan on being in my current situation and could afford the cat when I took her in. I still can, but the unexpected expenses associated with walking out on an abusive alcoholic gf have left me temporarily broke.

I like the cat and want to keep her. I'll look into the affordable vet care link that someone else posted.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I bet they are missing the owner that passed away.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good job on taking care of that cat! Hugs for you!
Old 07-14-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
KRA

Originally Posted by pinkdog View Post
I bet they are missing the owner that passed away.
She was skittish for about a month when i first got her and then settled in. And when i first got her, she was hissing a lot not howeling. The howeling thing is new.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KRA View Post
I took in the cat because she was deemed unadoptable because of her age and no one else wanted her; if I didn't take her, she would have been put down. She didn't have any known health problems when i took her in.

I didn't plan on being in my current situation and could afford the cat when I took her in. I still can, but the unexpected expenses associated with walking out on an abusive alcoholic gf have left me temporarily broke.

I like the cat and want to keep her. I'll look into the affordable vet care link that someone else posted.
Kudos to you for adopting an at risk animal! People who save pets from shelters are near and dear to my heart.

I really hope you're able to find some assistance to care for her. If you can't find a resource from the Humane Society link, it's also worth asking local vets if they'll perform services on a sliding scale or if they're willing to do a payment plan...maybe you can check with area rescue organizations to see if they can help find such a vet? They often get vet services donated and may have some good references for you. Worst case scenario, they might be able to hook you up with a temporary foster situation for the short term while you get on your feet.