Deliberately provoke your alcoholic?

Old 07-04-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Deliberately provoke your alcoholic?

Does anyone else do this? I feel as though I have been walking on eggshells for so long to try to keep the peace and now that I have been disengaged for awhile, enjoying my new ability to detach that I will occasionally provoke just for the fun of it- I don't expect anything good to come of it as far as the relationship is cocerned, I even know it will be destructive. Maybe that's what I'm looking for- to hurry up the bottoming out of it. Or to continue to get verification from his extreme, drunkin responses that I am doing the right thing by accepting the relationship is over. Or maybe it is just for the fun of it. Anyone?
Old 07-04-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Though I do not deliberately bait my AH, I know what you mean about finally detaching after the "egg-shell walk" as I have done this for years. Now I refuse to allow myself to be his scape goat for stress (verbal sarcasm). I will talk back with confidence and am no longer keeping all my thoughts, opinions, and feelings to myself in case they may not be the same as his.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh sure, there are times I definitely picked fights, wanted him to "suffer" like I was. It didn't get me anywhere.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I've done this. I was always walking on eggshells. Something broke in me or snapped, and I couldn't do it any longer. You see I became more afraid of the eggshells then his abuse.

So this one time when he was trying to goad me,and taunt me, and follow me around until I cracked, I tried detachment. Whatever stupid thing that came out of his mouth, I answered with, "I see", then he started singing "jose can you see, by the stars......."
So after he finished singing the entire national anthymn,(sp) I put on Pink Floyd, and started to sing to him "there's a lunatic inside my head, and its not me !!!!!!)

Then I got just as crazy as he was, and he actually backed off of me. Please don't try this at home.

I have many other examples,worse than that, but suffice it to say, occasionally they may work short term, but then again, you are sinking to their level. The level of a 5 year old, and it doesn't make them stop, and it doesn't make them see themselves.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I really don't expect to get anywhere when I do this and I realize it is sinking to their level but sometimes it is so damn fun- now that I have the power to do it since I am not investing in the relationship anymore. I have been the grown-up in this relationship for 30 years and it feels good to feel like a 5 yr old again once in awhile.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I do this at times and it's always when my AH is sober, too. Not sure if that's better, though, LOL. Anyway, I think it's that I'm missing some sort of emotional connection to him. Like I just feel this need to get something(anything) out of this relationship so I provoke him basically to show myself that I am human and I do have emotions and yes, he's still crazy. I am still working on that one and doing well most recently but honestly, it's part of my craziness in the dance we do.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I never deliberately provoked him, but once I detached and started making a plan to leave, my behavior changed in ways that provoked him.

The verbal exchange that ended with AXH threatening to kill me was so mundane it's laughable. But because I didn't roll over and play dead as he was accustomed to, it infuriated him.

I don't know what your A is like -- but I would be cautious with provocations. I would never in a million years have thought he'd become violent. Ever. And *boom* there it was.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't know that I've deliberately provoked, but I sure have snapped at times. I'll see myself doing things and saying things I shouldn't...I think that at times I detach from myself and as the words are coming out of my mouth, I know that it's not healthy nor helpful for either of us. Hell, this just happened a couple hours ago!
Old 07-05-2012, 03:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
I don't know what your A is like -- but I would be cautious with provocations. I would never in a million years have thought he'd become violent. Ever. And *boom* there it was.
This, I think, bears repeating......

Sometimes, I think, we become so addicted to the drama that when it begins to go away with detachment--we actively seek it.