OT - ES&H needed!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT - ES&H needed!

Hi SR friends,
I am taking time off this week and tackling a much needed house project - new flooring. I need some experience, strength & hope. Experience from anyone who has done this before....strength for my own intimidation of doing this for the first time...and hope that I get it right and don't have to call a contractor to fix a mess!

I am installing vinyl planks in the dining room and master bath. Never done anything like this before, but it says on the box "EASIEST FLOOR EVER" so I thought...hhhmmm...ok if it says it right on the box, let's give it a try! I did some research and found a few videos on YouTube; it looks simple enough. Ok then - I can do this. So I pulled up the old carpeting (YUCKY), cleaned and sealed the subfloor - that was interesting - bleach/water and vinegar/water removes stains and smells! - and am ready today to begin the installation process. So I am freaking out a little...and procrastinating!

On one hand it is so empowering to tackle new things. On the other hand, I am fretting!

If this works - in a couple days I can post before and after photos. If you don't ever hear form me again on this thread - know it was an epic fail. But hey - at least I am giving it a try. Who knows, I may become a pro at this and find a new occupation! Well, probably not because it hurts my knees and back a little but hey - in a recession it helps to have a varied skill set, right?!

Happy 4th to all!
~T
Old 07-03-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Wahooo & yeah to you for tackling a project!

the only suggestion I have is go LIGHT on the glue ~

the installer we used went "hefty" on the glue and it seeped thru the cracks and then it was almost impossible to clean up ~ we used "Goof Off" to clean it.

It is easier to clean off the excess as soon as possible rather than wait ~

I'm sure you will do a fabulous job!!

Best of luck!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

(((TG))) Take your time doing the work.

Measure twice and cut once.

Read all instructions all the way through before you begin.

Assemble all your materials before you begin.

You got this!!!! Have a great time. I love DIY home improvement projects!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think if I was doing this project (please note that I have never installed flooring! ), I would lay the pieces out before gluing them all down, to make sure everything fits where it is supposed to and that you have enough to cover the area. I think you are awesome for giving it a go. And I have a feeling it will turn out great. Best of luck to you!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say, "good for you". I never did a plank floor, but when I left my ex, friends of mine had just bought a new home. They still had the other house and they stayed there for the week, and just came up for the weekends then. I wanted a way to repay them for all of their help, but they wouldn't take money from me.

So I decided to fix and paint their house for them. I did many things there that I never in my life did. I went in with the attitude of, don't tell me that I can't do this. I've heard enough of that from the ex. So even though there were many things that I never did before, I researched it, and I did it, and everything came out great.

I still get intimidated when starting a new project, but hey, if I think I can do it, then I can, and no one will tell me that I can't, and if I mess it up, I can fix it.

Good Luck and will be thinking of you and your project. You're an inspiration to me. Now I need to get off my a$$, and start doing things that I've put off. Thanks for the nudge.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great ideas - thanks! MsPink - would you believe this is a no glue floor? It floats like laminate, and connects together using a strip of sticky stuff on two sides and you basically fit it all together and press down. Apparently it scores with a box knife and breaks easily too, so no need to break out my circular saw (which is a BLAST to use!)

I did decide to leave the trim pieces and add more later since they are higher on the wall because of the carpet...I remember this from previous flooring excursions (watching hubby do them).

Ok, I am going to break open a box and lay them out...starting with the smaller room first. I can't believe how intimidated I am by this project! LOL!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You probably do already know this, since you watched the video, but do not put it up right to the wall, leave some space because it needs to breathe.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Want me to come out and tell you what an excellent job you're doing?
I've never done anything of the sort, so I'm sure to be impressed regardless of how it goes!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No Clue! But wishing you luck and I can't wait to see the pictures. I bet it turns out beautiful!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Update...

Well, where there was carpet in my master bath, there now is a vinyl plank floor.

It didn't take long - I am sure the dining room will take longer - and for the most part it was easy! Once I got the hang of how its installed, that is. I'll post pictures later this evening...have to go drive kids around shortly.

Which brings me to my lessons learned so far:

1. I can do this! I rock!
2. A good pair of industrial scissors would go a long way with this stuff...
3. Call first before driving 20 miles for something they didn't have in stock today
4. send you kids elsewhere, and put the dogs in the backyard/kennel. It is inevitable that as soon as you hit your pace, someone/thing gets totally annoying.
5. No matter how thick your work gloves are, carpet strips - that darn strip of little dinosaur sharp nails to hold the edge of carpet down - will cut you. It will burn for a few days every time your hands get wet. But it passes, if the cuts don't get infected! Antiseptic is our friend.
6. Keep ibuprofen handy. Wear knee pads. Even then, keep ibuprofen handy.
7. Cove moulding and quarter-round can cover a lot of mis-cuts!
7. Confidence goes a long way! Whenever I got frustrated, I would stop and tell myself I can do this and to stop fussing.

Onto the dining room - more to come...

Thanks all for your support!

P.S. I decided halfway through this job that I am not quitting my day job for this job. Ever.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Sounds like you have this project under control! I do agree, quarter round is a good mistake hider..cut too short? Nah, who would know?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ok - here's a photo of the "after". It's a wood grain pattern - from a distance it looks like real wood floors, and well installed! Close up - well - I see my mistakes. Progress, not perfection, right?!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MB new floor resized.jpg (15.4 KB, 72 views)
Old 07-03-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You are awesome!!!!!! That looks great!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That looks terrific. I knew you could do it. We can always do what we put our minds too.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow! I am impressed! It looks great Tuffgirl. And I am a perfectionist.

Yes, I know how it hurts the knees and back, and those gd carpet strips!

Super fantastic job!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I love a floor that can be cleaned with a Swiffer!!!! Looks great, TG
Old 07-04-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm impressed! I love to do things myself.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Beautiful job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good for you!

I've done it before, and yes keep the ibuprofen very close. Fortunately at my age 67 I just cannot do it anymore with my arthritis, so in the foreclosed home I just bought, I CHEATED, lol I got everything from Lowe's, both the wood flooring and the tile flooring and paid the extra $367 for Lowe's to do the installation in the WHOLE house. Had I been about 12 years younger, I would have done it again myself. But nope not now, rofl.

However, I am so glad you did this. You showed yourself that you are capable of more than you ever dreamed you were.

You go girl!!!!! That is an AWESOME job so far!!!!!!!!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 07-04-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

LOVE that you just kept on telling yourself that you could do it: you totally rock!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I bow down to you!