Dealing With Delusions

Old 06-30-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The night that I referenced to in this post was when everything came to a head.
But all of the signs of what was going to happen had always been there. She had accused me before of possibly drugging her. When she would wake up in the morning feeling terrible and could not remember much of the evening it was much easier to say that I had drugged her, rather then admit to herself that she had drank a quart of vodka.
A psychiatrist that I am seeing kept warning me that I had to stay away from this woman.
He had feared that her accusations of me would become stronger and more frequent.
He feared that her delusions could one day land me into legal trouble.
Yet I did not listen.
Luckily for me, she broke it off before anything terrible happened.
How sad that I would have to wait for her to leave me.
But how could I have allowed myself to become so involved in such a tangled web?
Because I have my own disease. I am addicted to this kind of behavior.
Once I am on the roller coaster I do not want to get off.
Thank god a friend pointed me to Al Anon. It is helping me to get through one of the hardest periods of my life.
And helping me to see that it is time to let the roller coaster go.
My psychiatrist is sure that I will hear from her again. Either when drunk or in distress. He has called everything right so far.
So if she does, who's life will be my priority this time?
Her's or mine?
Old 07-01-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Just a quick follow up
Old 07-01-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Last night a man told me that he also had a girlfriend that started having visions of things that never happened.
He told me that the toll it took on his mental,emotional and physical well being were devastating. Constantly defending himself. Trying desperetly to get her to see the truth. All to no avail.
You cannot tell someone who is suffering from paranoia that they are being paranoid.
He told me that trying to deal with this level of alcoholism will destroy your life well before she destroys hers.
He said Run! As fast as you can Run!. Don't even look back to grab your belongings. Just Run!
I don't know how I would have ever dealt with all that I am going through were it not for Al Anon and people like this sharing their strength and hope.
My higher power has supplied me the running shoes. Now it is up to me to run!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I think it would be a good idea for you to prepare a plan now, in advance, for what you will do when she tries to come back. The idea is not to decide what you want for the rest of your life, just focus on what is the healthiest thing for you at the present time. Is it healthy for you to speak with her? Text? Email? Let her in your apartment/house? Meet her in a public place? Etc. Only you can decide what level of communication or interaction with her is healthy for you (you and your doctor, of course). If it were me, no level of face-to-face communication or interaction would be healthy. Depending on how much she texts, I likely would limit interaction to only email. Which is what I have done with AXBF. I hope you can set and maintain some good boundaries w her because she sounds dangerous.