Are they all liars??

Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Im not a lair, I've never been a lair, why I don't even know what a lie is.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Zee

I'm a recovering alcoholic. I used to lie about alcohol.
I no longer drink alcohol. I no longer lie.
Not really fair to completely stereotype people though. Some alcoholics while under the influence will tell you the truth! Something that has maybe been bottled up for a while and it comes out after 'dutch courage' Different strokes and all that.
Its only in the complete denial stage when the bear-faced lies tend to appear IME.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
don't we ALL lie, just a little bit? our age, our height, our weight, our accomplishments....how much we REALLY spent on shoes or yard equipment?
Up to a certain point. Now I'm old, fat, lazy and I wear sneakers and live in an apartment.

Your friend,
Old 06-27-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
What I finally figured out about my AXH was that it wasn't just random lies just for yucks.
It was more like... he lived in an alternate reality.

He is a person of incredibly high moral standards. He's extremely harshly judgmental of absentee fathers, drunks, people who don't walk their talk, hostility, lack of empathy and compassion, racism, and sexism.

Because his alcoholism causes him to repeatedly violate his own high moral standards, he has to create an alternate reality where his behavior has excuses and understandable explanations. Because the alternative would be recognizing that his alcoholism has turned him into everything he detests. And recognizing that would mean he would be forced to draw the conclusion that he needs to stop drinking.

And the addiction protects itself.
That's the insiduosness of this disease.
It protects itself.
So he writes a script for his life where his actions are acceptable because [insert lies, fairy tales, altered reality here]... because the alternative would be too painful to face.

It's not just lies to see if they can get away with it. It's much sadder than that. They actually believe that what they believe (and say) is the truth.
Quoted in full because it's so spot on. Thanks lillamy.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Addicts are liars too.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Don't even get me started.....my experience w my EXAB was lie lie lie! But in his case I think it's almost like a reality issue or maybe not! Either way it doesn't matter! A lie is a lie! However, no 2 people are the same! Thank God!
Old 06-30-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

If the A in your life lies about all kinds of stuff unrelated to their addiction, chances are fairly good that they suffer from confabulation. This is a recognized condition, sometimes caused by drinking/using, where the A actually "makes up" stuff in their brain to overcome the gaps that exist when they drink/use to the point of blackout.

This is a coping mechanism for the brain. Chances are this is done without malice and they likely even believe the stuff they are saying. This is one of the symptoms of wet brain, aka Korsakoff Syndrome. These links may help.

Confabulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Korsakoff's syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-30-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

YES

staring at 4 empty 40oz bottle of RYE and asking him did he drink it..."nope, not me"
shaking my head at the site of them empty and put back...thinking *i hate rye*

was not denial about it...just cant explain NOT SMELLING it....
Old 06-30-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
has left the building :)

My STBXAH wouldn't plead the fifth to a fifth of vodka sitting on the table right in front of him. No idea how it got there. Hell, it's not even his.