Went to my first Al Anon meeting tonight

Old 06-25-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to my first Al Anon meeting tonight

After my first failed attempt (drove out to find nobody there), I found a very active group near my home tonight. Probably 20 people, and about 5 of us newcomers. It was overwhelming, and honestly a little unsettling to hear such similarities To my own experience. I cried during what little I shared, and completely broke down afterwArds when the woman next to me gave me a hug. Tears of relief, I think, to know I'm not alone. Of course I knew I wasn't, but didn't know how powerful a face to face meeting would be.

I also got a call back and will be meeting with a Stephen minister from the church tomorrow night. I can't make it through this alone. Not that that I haven't prayed every day (every hour!), but it's nice that the church offers prayer partners that are trained in these types of struggles. I'm so glad to have these resources in my life.

ABF calls every day begging to come home. He has his chemical dependency counseling in the morning and is attending Celebrate Recovery on Wednesday. I hope for his sake and his daughter's that he can see this through, but I keep telling him it's not up to me anymore. I can't legally keep him from his things, but I have an appt with my attorney friend on Monday to find out how to legally "evict" him. Just praying for strength for us both every day and taking it one day at a time.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Survivor

I am so glad you went to a meeting. I hope you continue to go. It sounds like you are doing a lot right now to take care of you and your daughter. Good for you. Keep using your resources. You don't have to do it alone.

I am so glad I came to that realization too. We do not have to carry burdens all by ourselves.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((blue))

so glad you enjoyed the meeting ~ I hope you continue to go and reach out for help - I found such healing & comfort in the meetings. Especially when I started working the steps.

Keep taking such good care of you ~ it will help you thru the tough days ahead ~

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 06-26-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your friend,
Old 06-26-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

So glad you are taking care of yourself Bluebonnet. After Anvil's question to me yesterday about whether or not I had abandoned myself, I realized that I had. Long ago. In exchange for the hope of a beautiful dream. I stopped listening to myself and stopped taking care of me, and allowed all of these crazy things to go on in my life and my home, waiting and working towards fulfillment of that dream. I have been trying to find a home group but haven't found one yet. Thank you for the inspiration to keep trying.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm also reading Codependent No More on the iPad. Boy, have I highlighted a lot!!
Thank you all for the encouragement.