SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Elimidate (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/26042-elimidate.html)

smoke gets in my eyes 01-05-2004 11:04 AM

Elimidate

I ask you.

Have you people seen this show? It's kind of trashy but it's sort of like a car wreck... I know it's hideous but I can't look away. It seems to rarely be a woman picking from four men. Usually it's the other way around, and the women do the most embarassing things to get his attention so they won't be elimidated. And usually the guy is somebody you'd have to pay me a lot of money to spend an hour with. Blech. They take their dates to bars, clubs where you wallow in soap suds and other hideous places. Last night one guy took his dates to a car wash and a laundromat. Those are dates I can relate to.

But now I'm thinkin'. Under normal circumstances... those women COULDN'T want that guy. He's obnoxious and arrogant. And what seem like they would be normal women debase themselves to win. It has to be the competition... or simply... not wanting the rejection. It's The Codie Show! How much crap have I put up simply because I didn't want to be elimidated?... even though the prize wasn't worth spit?

By the way for those of you who have seen the show and get out more than I do... please tell me that is not what the dating scene out there is like. :fright:

phoenix 01-05-2004 11:27 AM

Re: Elimidate

Originally posted by smoke gets in my eyes
I And usually the guy is somebody you'd have to pay me a lot of money to spend an hour with. Blech.

Ummmm ....Smoke????

I thought you designed costumes or something :D

phoenix...exiting stage left

Ann 01-05-2004 01:06 PM

I agree, Smoke, that these shows make me throw up. Bachelor and Bachelorette did the same for me....nothing but public rejection by a guy/gal who you would never go out with in the first place.

I'd like to see a show called "Values", with each candidate having to show how they still have all the "values" that their mama taught them.

constant 01-05-2004 01:48 PM

I have to second that Ann....value shows are what we NEED to see more of.....

and YES I have seen elimidate.....I HOPE that the dating scene really isn't like that and .....where do they find these women??? They are half dressed and ready to have sex just to WIN!!

I am not big on any of the reality shows......and don't even get me started on the commercials.............for those of you who watched the NOKIA sugar bowl....it wasn't hard to figure out that Snoop Dog was paid bigs bucks to throw is fizzle dizzle and bling bling around at all of us trying to watch the ball game.....I mean really the guy brags about dope smoking and pimping girls BUT he is STILL used to sell their product. Doesn't anyone think that is wrong?!? or am I in the twilight Zone??

OK....OK I'll stop!!! Yes, that hit a nerve with me!!

Costant

constant 01-05-2004 01:49 PM

GOSH, I go so excited I couldn't even sign my name!!

CONSTANT....there I did it!

myles1 01-05-2004 01:54 PM

The dating scene is pretty pathetic and unfortunately those shows on T.V are pretty pathetic too. I don't know why women would want to debase themselves like that.

Ngaire

myles1 01-05-2004 01:57 PM

You know that other show "The Simple Life" with Paris Hilton and Lionel Ritchies daughter? Pathetic! My 10 year old son asked me when we watched it one night "why do those girls want to humiliate themselves like that Mom?"

Ngaire

Paulie 01-05-2004 01:59 PM

Nope haven't seen it and don't think I want to.

We were just talking the other day about how Jack in the Box even has sexual hints in one of their commercials now.

Values Ann - probalby would get cancelled, sad but true.

My favorite show is American Dreams. Sweet sweet show.

MissyBelle 01-05-2004 03:20 PM

I couldn't care less about the dating shows but "Fear Factor" borders on addicting. :D

osier59 01-05-2004 08:03 PM

The dating scene is really quite awful these days.

As for a reality show? I say we drop a handful of dads on a deserted island with about a dozen kids. No minivan, no macdonalds, no video games, no battery operated anything...you get the drift.

Now that is MY kind of survivor show!

Laughing,
Barb

smoke gets in my eyes 01-05-2004 08:50 PM

Originally posted by MissyBelle
I couldn't care less about the dating shows but "Fear Factor" borders on addicting. :D
The guy who helps me at work sometimes says my back warehouse should be an event on "Fear Factor". I think the event is supposed to include my cat, who has a tendency to lurk on the top of the cabinets and jump down on you with little or no warning.

Jon 01-06-2004 02:14 AM

Don't remind me to share my experience on The Love Connection.

Chuck Woolery was pretty cool though...

journeygal 01-06-2004 05:51 AM

Ok, I'll bite....

Jon, please tell us about your experience on The Love Connection!!!

:spectacle

osier59 01-06-2004 06:50 AM

OK Jon.

Do Tell

Please please please

You should KNOW better than to dangle something like that in front of a bunch of Al Anoners!!!

smoke gets in my eyes 01-06-2004 09:08 AM

Wouldn't it be great if he's not teasing? :D

EmotionalMeg 01-06-2004 09:39 AM

Oh, I dunno... I detect a little Jon-like sarcasm there ;)

I looooove Fear Factor (so does my 6 yr old son).
However, this show is also guilty of selling sex and stereotype. Do ya ever see a REAL woman on that show? (or guy for that matter). Nope. They're all cut-out look alikes; guys with good looks, big muscles and the egos to match. And girls with great bodies, big boobs, Not a trace of fat (do ya sense a little jealousy here lol... nah!!!). Oh, and just as if that weren't enough, they have the Playboy Centerfolds do some sissy stunts and call it a show. They have Twin Fear Factor and Celebrity Fear Factor... what about REAL People Fear Factor? Or better yet, Codie Fear Factor!!! Ha!

Lets face it. Sex sells (My husband keeps asking me WHERE they sell it :rolleyes: ).
Ann, I really like the idea of "Values"... And hey, if it were just us codies and Mom's watching, that would be enough to stay on the air!

take care guys,
Meg

P.S. What was the topic of this thread??? lol

Jon 01-06-2004 09:44 AM

He's not teasing. It was the mid 80's. I was a DJ in Newport Beach. It was one of those "bad dates" that were much funnier than the good dates.

I have wished I had a copy of it for a long time.

Oh...her name was Michelle. She was a drama student (LMAO) at UCLA.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

osier59 01-06-2004 10:20 AM

Go figure that a DRAMA queen would want to go out with you. Wonder if she has found Al anon yet??

Thanks for the laugh

Barb

Magichappens 01-06-2004 10:24 AM

Most TV stinks. I like HGTV. All my single friends can't find anybody worth more than a couple of dates. I think the older we get, the pickier we get. I got married when I was 20, and have been married for 15 years. I'm invested. But if I was still single, or became single, the outlook for finding someone would be grim. I am sooo not going to give myself away like I did when I was just a pup. TV is just a way to brainwash us into believing we can only be ok if we buy this product or that. MONEY MONEY MONEY. blech is right!

smoke gets in my eyes 01-06-2004 10:33 AM

Oh Jon... what I wouldn't give to see it. What I wouldn't give to know if I SAW it! LOL