am i wrong for feeling this way?

Old 06-18-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

so my XAB left me for another girl who is a recovering coke addict but is currently a heavy drinker (i call her alcoholic because she drinks a lot, to the point of she is getting pulled over by cops) and smokes weed a lot and who has a 18 year old son who is also high on weed everyday.

when we were together, i tried to keep his mind of coke by doing healthy things (like play sports) i never smoked cigarette, weed, i drink ocassionally but not to to the point of drunk drunk. but she comes to see him and brings alcohol and weed.

after i made a decision to stop enabling him (helping him pay his bills and rent) and after he binged a month and has loads of credit card debts and unable to pay the rent, he broke up with me and started a relationship with this girl (whom he is friends with since hs).

the thing is when we were together, there are days that he would miss work which means no paycheck thats why it was either me or his mom or his dad who pays his bills, but after all of us had stopped doing this for him, he went with her (the mom and dad doesnt like her). good thing for him now is that he goes to work everyday (as far as being sober i dont know) but he shows up for work.

now, i should be happy right? because at least he is trying to pick himself up. as far as i know is that he is never on any treatment. according to him is that this girl will try to help him out the same way she help herself out by being a functioning addict...like they would still do it in moderation but will make sure that they can still go to work the following day.

for those who have experience on this, do you think this will really work?

am i so wrong and bad to feel bad that a girl like her doing unhealthy stuff is more of a help to him than me?

i would appreciate your time and your insights.

thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

He doesn't need anyone to help him, he wants someone who won't care if he drinks or does coke whenever he wants. You were getting in the way of his buzz. Sorry to sound harsh, but I'd bet anything that's what it is.

I'm sure it hurts, but really, he has done you a huge favor by moving on. You deserve better than what he can give you.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i pray and i pray everyday that he gets better, and i know that sobriety is a life long process. i wish he gets treatment, real treatment. i havent seen him for 2 1/2 months, the girl said that she is trying to keep him sober, but when he called me a month ago he sounded so drunk or so high....maybe he isnt doing coke anymore...but can he substitute alcohol and weed to stop doing coke?

thanks again.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"am i so wrong and bad to feel bad that a girl like her doing unhealthy stuff is more of a help to him than me?"

You should never feel you are wrong for feeling & thinking anything, they're your thoughts and that's ok. To answer the first question, it sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen. He's her problem now, be happy.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't mean to be disrespectful or harsh and I know what he/they did is painful but, IMHO, wave good-bye to him as he walks away. You don't need that kind of trouble in your life!
Old 06-18-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

am i so wrong and bad to feel bad that a girl like her doing unhealthy stuff is more of a help to him than me?"

Maybe you could reframe this, and it's not about being wrong, but when we support unhealthy behaviors, we hurt us and we hurt them.

That relationship is doomed, they are both doomed, there is not one shred of good that can come of it. Please read what anvilhead wrote a couple of times, she is spot on.

This is not about you, being better, or being right, or being wrong or bad, it's about removing yourself from a relationship that is making you both sick.

It is making you sick, isn't it. Honey, you don't want to be sick, I felt sick constantly when I was in a relationship with my x.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

MrsBrownie,

I understand you are hurting. I really get it. So I am saying this gently.....

Take your power back, stop wondering what he is doing in his new dope den, he is no longer your concern, and she most certainly is not your business.

They are addicts, doing what addicts do. They are lost to addiction. He is unavailable You have to go forward.

Why do you think you deserve a guy like this? There are 1000's of available healthy men, who can be a committed partner, and add love and joy to your life.

You have a guardian angel somewhere, looking after you. Give yourself some time. It's ok to grieve, but try to do something good for yourself each day.

Keep posting, you are not alone.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you so much everyone.

either i am really blind or stupid, i dont know why i am having a hard time seeing this...i have talked to a lot of people, mostly friends of course, they dont even know one another and yet they say the same things as you guys have said.

i know that i already lost him, i know there are a lot of people in the ocean....its just really difficult for me because of all the men i have been with (5 total and im in my 40s already) this guy is the one i have the most things in common with, and he knows that too, for a minute we were soulmates and he knows that too. 6 out of our 10 interests are the same. that's why i am having a hard time to accept that the only thing that i dont do and cant do and wont do with him is drugs...and that's the only she can do for him.

i know it sounds crazy...or i sound crazy, ill move on and just like the rest....im taking it one day at a time.

im really thankful, i found this site....thank you for all your replies, it reallymeans so much to me, now i dont feel alone.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

for those who have experience on this, do you think this will really work?
No, nothing "works" except the addict wanting to stop using and then stopping. He does not need fixing by anyone but himself.

am i so wrong and bad to feel bad that a girl like her doing unhealthy stuff is more of a help to him than me?
No, you are not wrong or bad for your feelings. She is not helping him, she is just his "partner in crime." That is, someone to do with him what he wants to do. This also happened to me and it took me a long time to figure it out but in the end I realized he chose the girl who did drugs with him because THAT is the kind of person HE is. You are not that kind of person. Now go No Contact with them because associating with people who do drugs is not good for you. Find people who think and behave like you do. You will be much happier for it.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

now, i should be happy right? because at least he is trying to pick himself up. as far as i know is that he is never on any treatment. according to him is that this girl will try to help him out the same way she help herself out by being a functioning addict...like they would still do it in moderation but will make sure that they can still go to work the following day.
There is no right or wrong to feeling. But he is completely out of your life and unless he asks you, nothing he does is any of your business. Instead of focusing on him, try focusing on your recovery. Alanon, therapy. Now you want to make sure you never pick an alcoholic again.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mrsbrownie View Post
thank you so much everyone.

either i am really blind or stupid, i dont know why i am having a hard time seeing this...i have talked to a lot of people, mostly friends of course, they dont even know one another and yet they say the same things as you guys have said.

i know that i already lost him, i know there are a lot of people in the ocean....its just really difficult for me because of all the men i have been with (5 total and im in my 40s already) this guy is the one i have the most things in common with, and he knows that too, for a minute we were soulmates and he knows that too. 6 out of our 10 interests are the same. that's why i am having a hard time to accept that the only thing that i dont do and cant do and wont do with him is drugs...and that's the only she can do for him.

i know it sounds crazy...or i sound crazy, ill move on and just like the rest....im taking it one day at a time.

im really thankful, i found this site....thank you for all your replies, it reallymeans so much to me, now i dont feel alone.

Hi, it takes some time to come to terms with the reality of it all. It's unbelievable, my first step was to keep telling myself, I am powerless. And I am. Then I surrendered. Then I began the process of acceptance. For me, that was the very beginning of my healing, and I am still healing,

either i am really blind or stupid You are neither of these things, you are hurt, and maybe in a bit of denial, it's so hard to accept that someone you love, is very sick. You cannot be sick with him. You will begin to see the truth of all of it as time passes. It's best if you do not engage with him.

Keep posting, so glad you found SR.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

that's why i am having a hard time to accept that the only thing that i dont do and cant do and wont do with him is drugs...and that's the only she can do for him.
because right now, and for some time in the past, and as far as he is concerned for the foreseable future this is his dealbreaker in a relationship. Drugs are more important to him than other shared interests. I'm not going to judge that because it's his life and he gets to choose how to live it, nor am I going to say that his current relationship is doomed - who knows?

But I will say that from an on-looker's perspective you and he are fundamentally, absolutely not suited to each other: his over-riding desire is to be with someone who share's his addiction, which you don't, and one of your top desires is to be with someone who isn't addicted to drugs, which he is.

None of this is wrong, it's just how it is, just like none of your feelings are wrong, they are just what you feel.

I have been where you are, hurt and confused that a partner could choose a drug over me, and it took time but eventually I saw that it wasn't a choice between me/drugs, we wanted fundamentally different things out of life, and insteaad of trying to make each other be the person we wanted them to eb, we needed to explore the world full of people, at least some of whom must be a better fit!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

in my experience, no human power could relieve my addiction and alcoholism.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sometimes two people's hurt places just seem to fit together, even if the relationship is dysfunctional. I agree that for your ex and this girl, it is their addiction. They are free to skate on thin ice together, you deserve better.

Now the trick is to figure out what is hurt inside you that made you choose him. After I broke up with my first addict, I realized how low my self-worth was that I would put up with that much of his crap. It's a work in progress, after him, I dated a 4 years "sober" dry drunk who still smoked weed, and went back to the previous ex after believing him when he told me he was clean. I realized he was abusing opiates when he borrowed money from me that I never got back. I guess I learned something along the way. I went no contact that day. Now, instead of just looking for shared interests, I look for qualities like integrity, honesty, trust, kindness, etc. Being single is lonely at times, but it is really nice being away from all the crazy, my own craziness included.

Last edited by boldaslove; 06-19-2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-19-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I wonder why you think he is doing good. Doesn't sound like he is to me. She probably is bad for him. He is bad for himself. Don't let them be bad for you. Move on to someone who treats you right. He's already showed you that he doesn't care. You deserve better. Someone who cares about your feelings.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

May I suggest something to help you with this healing process. . .

Make a list of all the things you couldn't do with your former BF in your life . . .

go out with girlfriends
take a relaxing walk on the beach
rearrange the furniture the way you want it
sleep til noon
get up at 6 & watch the sunrise
watch a funny movie
read a good book
attend a concert
or whatever it is that YOU like

just think about not what HE liked, not what yall like - what YOU like, enjoy, want to do ~ and do it ~ even if it's sleeping with the a/c set on a different setting ~

Take back your life a little at a time ~ you may realize you have a lot more life to live than what you are thinking right now ~

Breathe, Just Breathe ~ and see what you can find out there that is Good, Healthy and Respectful for YOU!

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 06-19-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Feelings are never wrong or right. They just are.
What you do have control over is how you act on your feelings.
Because feelings aren't an automatic reason to act in any particular way.
Our instinct is to get away from feeling uncomfortable, or feeling pain.
But we also have reasoning skills so that, when we're uncomfortable or in pain, we don't run towards more trouble.

I think being left is never pleasant. I think when someone leaves us, no matter how much of a douchebag they may be, it hurts, because we believe it says something about us. It doesn't: It says something about HIM. You were no longer fulfilling his needs, so he found someone else who did: Someone who would let him pursue his first love uninterrupted (that would be his addiction).

Your feelings are what they are. Act in your own best interest regardless of what your feelings say, whisper, or scream.