doing the Steps

Old 06-15-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

doing the Steps

I have decided to start the steps today. Is anyone else doing them? Is so, how are you doing?
Old 06-15-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I started them a while ago. They were not helpful, so I quit. I found I was better off without them.

It's worth a shot though. It could be that one thing that really helps you.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Check out PurpleSquirrel's thread here... read to the end....she's looking for stepwork partners too: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ut-myself.html
Old 06-15-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Instead of doing the steps I am trying to live in the steps. I can apply them to any problem. I can run any feeling or emotion through the steps. I am big with fear and anger. They visit me less and less. There is an exercise I heard about in an Alanon meeting- write on the left side of a piece of paper everything anybody had done- on the right side write my reactions- NOW rip the paper in half. My part is the right side/ my reactions ! to BLAME is to B- Lame. I get better if I work on what I can change with HP's help- ME.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

CArol - I love the list idea I think I will have to try it
Old 06-18-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It was huge for me- going back through my life experiences and years no matter the circumstance I had a pattern of (overreacting, anger, being too sensitive)- over and over.....now that I KNOW that -I can change me.......It is exciting. We get angry and we need to vent but appropriately.....call someone, go for a walk, pray, go to a meeting, or whatever.......sometimes I have to let stuff "pass".....like our slogan- "This too shall pass-" OH and journal.......change my perspective, acceptance, meditate- I learned in yoga. Now that I have identified this stuff I can go - oh there I go doing that- run it through the steps....and the 10th step at the end of the day I ask myself what I could have done different ? have I overreacted or been too sensitive, or gone coo coo on the anger meter ?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is a short version of steps 10 and 11 to do at night; Today was I -1.selfish, 2. indifferent, 3. insecure, 4. without love, without humility, 5. without understanding ??????
Old 06-19-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We have a forum specific for doing "step work" over here:

Friends and Family Step Study - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Mike