AH day 8

Old 06-12-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AH day 8

My AH is on day 8 of sobriety, he has gone this far and further many times but always relapses, why when I'm feeling relaxed and can trust him (not that hes given me any cause to) he relapses? This times seems different, he is going to AA tonight for the first time his suggestion, last night I mentioned he will get a sponsor etc then this morning its "I'm only going to see what it's like!" I have set boundaries this time but I feel I cant be too hard or it will push him towards the drink again. Am I being deluded???? Can he do it on his own again just with the help of SR this time??? Everytime hes sober I relax and let my guard down but I cant seem to do anything else?
Old 06-12-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He's not relapsing on purpose to get you upset.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know that, he cant help it , but why do I let myself fall into a false sense of security every time he's sober???
Old 06-12-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What is different between this attempt and the previous attempts? AA is a good start. It is also a good tool to have in his toolbox if he stays with it. When he quits going to AA, it is time to start worrying. BTW, I am the RA.

My point is, if he is doing the same macho doing it on his own that often happens without asking for help, I would be concerned. If he is honestly asking for help and doing something different to achieve sobriety, there may be a chance to save the relationship. Be on guard. Don't get your hopes up. Take it one day at a time.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Please attend Al Anon for you.

Hugs,
Old 06-12-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

it is the small victories I look for as well. A week a month, a few months. its like climbing a ladder. it gives you something to be happy about.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by remington06 View Post
it is the small victories I look for as well. A week a month, a few months. its like climbing a ladder. it gives you something to be happy about.
Thanks guys I'm seeing a councillor too. My worries were unfounded he found it useful and can't wait to go again he has phone numbers for support etc Thanks
Old 06-13-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know that, he cant help it , but why do I let myself fall into a false sense of security every time he's sober???
It's called denial, one of the major characteristics of alcoholics (both recovering and not) and codependents. I suggest focusing on letting go of expectations, one way we really mess ourselves up.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mcconnell922 View Post
because its what you really want....to see him sober and your life together to improve.... i felt the same way.... but he never did sober up so i left. but it took me several tries.... hang in there. decide what you really want in your heart......