A very pleasant update :)

Old 06-06-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A very pleasant update :)

Hey folks....

It's been awhile since I've dropped in... Been busy living life, how cool is that?!?

My recovery is going so amazingly well. I have finally figured out what it really means to have and keep boundaries. I've gotten great at not accepting the unacceptable. Sounds dorky to admit that, but it's true . I've learned to own my feelings and not be so darn reactive (very big grin) or extreme in my responses.

All of these tools have been completely priceless in dealing with the XAH. I've been able to hold him accountable, communicate clearly and FINALLY stopped taking HIS disease personally. all of that is so important because he's still drinking, probably more now than ever... Angrier than ever... Blaming more than ever... And totally flaking out on visitation, support, and his part of the mortgage (all of which I am completely not surprised by!)

The divorce is just about legally finalized (I call him XAH anyways because that's what he is to me!). The dream house is emptied out of my stuff (as of Monday!) and the closing is June 19! YEAH!!!! I love that the chapters are finally coming to a close.

As for me, today was my 36 birthday and I celebrated it by buying myself a brand new beautiful road bike... Fancier bike than I could have ever imagined. It felt great to reward myself. I wanted it for years but always opted to give e money to XAH for whatever toy of the week he wanted. (big mistake, I know that now!). I am working hard to find balance between mom, engineer, and me. It's not always easy.... Been lots of tears, but sooo much laughter too.

This place is great... Thank you to all the old timers who stay here day in and day out. Your gift of service is priceless

Shannon
Old 06-06-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Survivor

I'm so proud of you! Good for you! Thank you for sharing the excellent new.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by GettingBy View Post
Hey folks....

It's been awhile since I've dropped in... Been busy living life, how cool is that?!?
Way, way cool!

Thanks, GB, for stopping by with that update! Wonderful news, all of it!

:day1
Old 06-07-2012, 04:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yay! Enjoy your biking adventures. Upstate is beautiful in the summer, I am jealous!
Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome, Shannon. I am so very happy for you. It is really cool to know you through my time here - go through many of the same struggles - and hear that we both have reached that 'light at the end of the tunnel' that everyone promised early on. It is real after all! Go figure...

Keep on rockin'!
~T
Old 06-07-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hooray!!!! You sound great! How are your kids? I imagine they're wonderful too!
Old 06-07-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love hearing updates like these! Thank you!