Housing options

Old 05-23-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Housing options

Okay, so I have no money nor job. Anyone know how I can get a place to live? Am willing to accept public housing at this point. I live in PA. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You've stopped in your county's Housing Authority I assume?
Old 05-23-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Choublak,
Are you able to do some work in exchange for having a place to live? There are agencies that help adults with disabilities who will often give you a room for some work with the adults. The Association for ******** Citizens is one place that has group homes, Easter Seals is another that might have or know about group homes. I can do some research (or you can) and maybe get paid AND have a place to live for minimal work-mostly helping the adults with house chores, budgeting, maybe getting around the community, and for being there overnight.

A live-in nanny type position, or helping to care for an elderly person may also give you a similar arrangement.

If these aren't options, get to the local housing agency. All of these can be found on the internet. Craigslist is another option for seeking the live-in positions I mentioned.

Something will work out!
Hugs,
Old 05-23-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Look into "transitional housing" in your county. Someone I know was in a bad situation, she had no money to get out. She learned that if she became technically "homeless" for 30 days, she could qualify for subsidized transitional housing for the homeless from Catholic Charities. So she lived in a homeless shelter for 30 days, got the paperwork started, and by day 31 was living in a very affordable shared home. This gave her the time to get some money put back until she could qualify for the next step, which was her own subsidized apartment.

I googled and found this for you, it's a good place to start making phone calls, Catholic Charities of PA.
Weclome to Capital Area Coalition on Homelessness
Old 05-23-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd also check out roommate situations...if you have $ coming in the future. I like the idea of exchanging housing for help...I am seeing situations like this crop up with seniors wanting to remain at home but needing some extra help. Maybe call your local Area Agency on Aging and ask about need for live-in caregivers?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the information. I'm also a student, but the university I go to doesn't really offer a lot as far as living goes (although I wish they did!). The campus is kind of in the country.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

1. Financial aid office! I was struggling at one point in grad school and when I went into the financial office the lovely man there said, "Why didn't you come in sooner? There's a Blah Blah Emergency Fund for young women." Also helped me apply for a supplemental loan.

2. Country, you say? Are you at all horsey? Because if there are stables around you can live onsite in exchange for mucking out stalls, exercising/training horses, maybe giving lessons. Just a thought.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh--for the future, apply to be an RA.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is great job as providing housing facility to needy. I am also looking for the information on grand valley off campus housing as they are in full swing and ready to move. I am interested to buy one house in grand valley off campus housing as for permanent settlement.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Are you near Philly? If so, go to Project H.O.M.E. on Fairmount Avenue. I will pm you if you let me know whether Philly is near you and will give you specific individuals to ask for and tell you who I am so you can say I am directing you there... It's an amazing organization and an amazing group of people and they 100% will be able to help.