Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Beyond devastated, just found out my little brother is an alcoholic

Old 05-20-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I knew my brother was struggling in life. He couldn't keep a job, was always getting into mystery accidents, that left him was scars or bruises. This past Wednesday I received a call from his girlfriend whom I had never met or spoken with, telling me my brother was incredibly ill and she needed my help. I thought she meant he had the flu, turns out he had three grand mal seizures, bashed his head open and almost bitten his tongue off. The dr's say this is all due to a severe drinking problem. I cannot put into words how sad and devastated I am for my little brother. I don't know things will ever be the same. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Is there hope? Thank you...
Old 05-21-2012, 01:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm an Alcoholic, mostly sober for 5 years (relapses of 4 days, 1 day and 3 days over that time). He can stop drinking if he wants to, and yes a lot of us have had seizures.

I don't know things will ever be the same.
Are you saying the seizures left him permanently damaged?
Old 05-21-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
I'm an Alcoholic, mostly sober for 5 years (relapses of 4 days, 1 day and 3 days over that time). He can stop drinking if he wants to, and yes a lot of us have had seizures.

Are you saying the seizures left him permanently damaged?
Thank you for your response. I'm not sure if they have left him permanently damaged. He is in awful shape, he is memory is horrible, he is very weak and seems to be totally out of it. I dont know how my family should help him, we're all at a loss...
Old 05-21-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ady gil View Post
I'm so sorry this has happened and I know it's devastating to have a loved one with this disease. My qualifier is my husband which I know is a bit different than a direct blood family member - but others with more similar experiences will be around soon to respond.

SR is a bit quiet at night but others will be along during the day and give you a lot of ESH (experience strength and hope) - I welcome you to SR, but I'm sorry for the reason that brought you here. SR has been a great help/resource for me - just being able to share with people who understand helps immensely. I hope it will be the same help for you.
Thank you for responding...it means a lot.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Lord Have Mercy

Hello and welcome. I know all of this is a shock, especially realizing all the medical problems. My advice would be to learn as much as you can about alcoholism, try an al anon meeting, and don't be afraid to talk about your feelings here. It is very sad and also quite worrisome. Hang in there.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by djayr View Post
Hello and welcome. I know all of this is a shock, especially realizing all the medical problems. My advice would be to learn as much as you can about alcoholism, try an al anon meeting, and don't be afraid to talk about your feelings here. It is very sad and also quite worrisome. Hang in there.
Thanks...
Old 05-22-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello albionel, Welcome to SR!

Here you are definitely among people who understand.

My sister is a recovering alcoholic and cocaine addict.
My grandmother, grandfather, and step-grandfather were all alcoholics.
My stepson (my reason for searching the internet one night) is an alcoholic and crack addict.

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. Detoxing from alcohol is a very dangerous thing, but he is in good hands right now!

There is hope for your brother. There is always hope! But he is the one who has to decide that his life has become bad enough for him to change, to find recovery. Only time will tell if this event was enough to get him to want to stop drinking.

You and all who care of this young man will be in my thoughts and prayers.

HG
Old 05-22-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hydrogirl View Post
Hello albionel, Welcome to SR!

Here you are definitely among people who understand.

My sister is a recovering alcoholic and cocaine addict.
My grandmother, grandfather, and step-grandfather were all alcoholics.
My stepson (my reason for searching the internet one night) is an alcoholic and crack addict.

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. Detoxing from alcohol is a very dangerous thing, but he is in good hands right now!

There is hope for your brother. There is always hope! But he is the one who has to decide that his life has become bad enough for him to change, to find recovery. Only time will tell if this event was enough to get him to want to stop drinking.

You and all who care of this young man will be in my thoughts and prayers.

HG
Thank you so much for your response...