Concerned Girlfriend

Old 05-17-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Concerned Girlfriend

Hi i'm kinda new to this, and this is kinda long, but I need some advice. My boyfriend and I have been dating for a few months and I'm not sure if he's an alcoholic or if i'm just over thinking this. We've been friends for the past few yrs. In december his parents sent him to rehab because he was drinking too much he would black out, miss school, and work. He would drink at home he wouldn't explode on anyone he'd just drink too much. When he came out his parents told him he wasn't allowed to drink any hard liquors only wine on wkends since he wasn't too bad. A couple months later we started dating. We see each other on wkends, and we drink I don't drink wine I drink vodka so for a while he'd just drink wine. Then he started drinking vodka with me, and he said it won't do any harm to him and that it's only for when he's with me. Before he could finish a 750mL bottle through out one night. Now he doesn't do that anymore he drink 1/3 and drinks wine with it. He hasn't missed any school this semester he's actually done better than he ever would in all his other semesters. Also, when he drink he's still the same just a little more open he tells me more things, not bad things. Just more about his feelings about me. Idk he says he enjoys drinking because when he talks to people he can kinda be himself and if they don't like he can just blame it on the alcohol. He doesn't really go to parties or bars he's content with drinking in his home and talking to me. The other night I asked him how long he can go with out drinking and he said 3days. I'm not sure if this is a sign that I should tell his parents or try to get him help myself. I've never dealt with this before. Thanks in advance for advice.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

This is a wonderful resource of support and information. Please make yourself at home by reading and posting as needed.

One of the first things I learned when I arrived was the 3 C's of my loved ones alcoholism. They are:

I did not Cause it
I can not Control it
I will not Cure it

Your friends issues with alcohol are between himself (he is an adult) and his Higher Power.

A gentle warning: Alcoholism is progressive. It does get worse if untreated.

He may appear to be handling his booze right now......
He's not blacking out, yet
He's not missing classes, yet
He's not losing control of his body functions, yet
Old 05-18-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Pelican for the warm welcoming and the advice.
I didn't think about the yet scenarios so thank you.