So bummed out

Old 05-11-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So bummed out

My boyfriend of 7 months went into rehab Monday night. He called me on Tuesday and Wednesday for a few minutes but he didn't call last night and he didn't call tonight. I "think" he gets out tomorrow, but with no contact I don't even know that. I'm so worried this is his way to distance himself from me and then break up with me.

In my head I know that his recovery is the most important thing, but I love him and I miss him and I really did think he loved me too.

Anyone else ever go through something like this?

I'm trying to be strong and not blow this out of proportion, but I'm really nervous and sad right now.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Six days is not rehab. Maybe it was detox? All detox does is safely remove the alcohol from his system. It is not a rehabilitation program that teaches him how to handle cravings or a recovery program.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh you are right, I'm new to all of this, it IS detox, not rehab. Sorry for misspeaking
Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know none of you can know if my relationship will survive this detox and then the recovery to follow.

Just wondering if anyone else had a similar situation where their loved one temporarily withdrew from them during detox or rehab? Just don't know if this is common or not.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

Please make yourself at home by reading and posting as much as needed.

Your boyfriend of 7 months is coming out of detox right?
Is it safe to assume that during the 7 months you have dated, you haven't experienced him sober for 7 days?

The guy you dated, if he drank daily (or every other day), is not the guy who is sitting in detox having to face his life without the numbing effects of alcohol. He may not like the sober guy he has to face in the mirror and start drinking as soon as he gets out of detox.

Alcoholism is progressive. It does get worse if left untreated.

Here are some steps that help loved ones of alcoholics:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html
Old 05-12-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Woosters,

Welcome to SR! Detoxing from alcohol is no fun and isolating while feeling sick is not uncommon.

What about you? Have you considered alanon? My XA was in detoxes so many times I couldn't even count them for the 4 years we were together. The best thing I did for both of us was learn about alcoholism and my codependency through this website, alanon, counseling and dozens of books on the subject.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have no experience with a boyfriend or partner going through detox, but my stepson was hospitalized in order to detox. On about day 3, "Jr." began to go through the hallucinations and ramblings associated with delerium tremens (DT's). This lasted for more than 24 hours. At that point, he would have been utterly incapable of speaking to anyone on the phone.

I hope that your boyfriend will decide to do whatever it takes to obtain and maintain sobriety. It is a lifelong path. And you are right, none of us can tell you how this will all turn out.

Please make yourself at home here, read all you can and become educated about this condition called addiction. You have found a place where people really do understand!