New here...need ES&H

Old 05-08-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here...need ES&H

My AS has decided to seek treatment after several detoxes and visits to the ER. He was staying at a 30 day sober house and is now moving into a long-term halfway house. He called me last night with this information.

My concern is he's feeling very depressed; much more so than when he was drinking. I advised him that from what I have heard and read this is fairly common in early sobriety. He has lost all desire for anything he used to enjoy and said he's basically "going through the motions" each day. He expressed to me that he is really trying and wants to get better more than anything but this depression is beating him down.

He said he's been miserable as far back as he can recall and drank to numb the pain. He just wants some happiness in life. As a mother, this breaks my heart!

Can anyone tell me if these dark feelings subside? Will it get better?
He is seeing a psychiatrist and a counselor.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

He could be depressed, which is common in early sobriety. If he is seeing professionals on a regular basis, if he is honest with them, they should know whether or not he is a candidate for anti-depressants. He should explain how he is feeling in detail to his counselor and his psychiatrist. They cannot help him if they don't know what's going on with him.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your response, Suki.

He did tell me he's being honest with the doctor; I hope that is true. It just sounds like he's giving up hope of ever feeling "normal". I'm not sure if he's taking any meds.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, he needs to realize it took time to get to where he is, so it is going to take time to get past it. He didn't become dependent on alcohol in a couple of months or even a year or two. It takes time for the body and brain to heal. Depression is very common in early recovery. Things will get better if he sticks with his program.