need advise for bf he is really trying

Old 04-26-2012, 11:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question need advise for bf he is really trying

Im 42 my daddy is a alcoholic who always drank beer but was the mean guy when drinking lots "hard stuff" The last 10 years he tried to drink himself to death after my mom passed At one point due to heart issues his doc had him taper down STARTING with a quart and a half of vodka A DAY! Yes we are all grateful he is alive & 6 months sober Having witnessed many bouts of him stopping cold turkey etc when my best friend felt he was drinking to much he asked me to help him stop slowly What I dont understand is he stopped drinking the whiskey & vodka he had been drinking with his beer 6 days ago Him having the shakey hands in the start made sense but he is still doing this until he has a beer He has had more things to frazzle his or anyones nerves in last 8 months than I can list Today is the third day that he is going 12 or more hours before that shake even begins and today he had them after having 5 natural lights (LOW al%) over 8 hours He is wanting to cut back more each day so that Sunday I can stay with him and him stop completely My husband believes his shaking is nerve damage due to a work accident that damaged his shoulder and neck However my husband drinks 6-14 nattys on work days when he gets home and 8-24 on days off which is another story huh If anyone has weaned down and had this happen or has advise please share Im grateful my friend realized before I even had to say anything he was gettin out of hand we feel once we tackle this my husband will be next I wish that I had known this site during my dads brush with death
Old 04-27-2012, 12:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((pademae))) - Welcome to SR, though I am sorry for what has brought you here. Alcohol withdrawal is very serious and can be fatal. I was a nurse before addiction ruined that career, but I honestly think he needs to see a dr...be totally honest about his drinking history.

I am an RA (recovering addict) and have been blessed with a dr. who appreciates my history, doesn't let me manipulate her into something I just want to get numb.

Alcohol is alcohol..whether it's vodka or beer. If he's having the shakes, he really needs to see a dr. Alcholol withdrawal can severely raise the blood pressure and other things. I know you can't make him see a dr., but I do pray that he sees one soon, and is honest. A dr. can't treat you properly if they don't know the truth.

If he refuses to see a dr. or sees one and isn't honest, there's not much you can do. I didn't choose recovery until the consequences got too much.

I'm glad you're here...there are a lot of people here who are dealing with similar situations The bottom line is, HE has to be the one to seek help. In addition to being an RA, I also had 3 relationships with A's (alcholics/addicts) and no matter what I did, they did what they wanted to do.

When I first came to SR, I read a lot of posts and found out I was not alone. YOU are not alone, and though we can't make your dad do anything he doesn't want to do, we can support you.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy