I so need advice. Finding roommates to make ends meet?

Old 04-23-2012, 12:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I so need advice. Finding roommates to make ends meet?

Hi everybody, I could really use advice on locating a roommate to compensate for the lost income of A. I understand that with the economy as it is the market is glutted with people that have rooms and house-shares available, but have you been able to recently find/screen a decent roomie? Given that family and friends have no "known" others needing a place, I have had some roomie ads out there for some time now but the ads I've been running have not had any success.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are lots of options for marketing for roommates. Your community's paper, if it has a classified ad section. Craigslist. The local university/community college campus. Churches. Bulletin boards at community centers. And some towns have roommate matching services (mine doesn't) so call a realtor/property manager and ask.

Screening is a different issue altogether. But I do know there are services on the internet that can do background checks deeper than normal folks have access to. Public records are available for all to review. My town has a website, maybe yours does too? If not, there are websites like pipl.com and of course, Google.

Lastly, word of mouth works well, too. Are you involved with an Al-Anon group? That's a great place to share requests like this.

Good luck!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. The ads I have out there have had many responses, but no success (eliminated at initial screening) and so far networking hasn't come up with anybody needing a place. Once a few things are in place I can get out and about to meetings and church.