Alone or Lonely

Old 04-19-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alone or Lonely

Its a blah kind of day. I feel bummed and missing the x. I keep reminding myself of his behavior at the end of the relationship and how he scared me. Im worried about him though, his mom called and said he was acting like he was on something and wanted to know if I knew anything about it. I told her no, I was against all forms of self medicating since they would cost him 10 yrs of prison for breaking his probation, so if he was, he would not have told me for fear that I would end the relationship.

He broke that rule 3x's while we were together, within 2 months of leaving rehab, and I kept making excuses for his behavior that his anxiety was to high and he couldn't cope. Well I have severe anxiety and I don't drink, or smoke, or pop pills, I exercise, meditate, and take supplements.

Anyway I am somewhat happy with my life, I lost my job 6 months ago, and still haven't been able to find a new one yet, but I have lots of great friends, and a wonderful, full social life. Still I want a snuggly comfy relationship to go with it. Does that mean I dislike being alone with myself, or am just lonely. Do I miss him for him, or just the physical affection that could be generated by any man that I am attracted to.::ghug3

My emotions are annoying me!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Linkin Park Enthusiast

An old friend in high school told me that she would rather be alone than lonely.

Sometimes being alone means being lonely, but being lonely never comes without being alone.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

supersoap, I think you answered you own question.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel sort of the same way, my ex just broke up with me a few months ago because of my drinking. I think I miss him as my best friend more then anything. But we still talk. I just try to keep busy so I don't have to think about it. I think in time you will feel better, but for me I know that rushing into a relationship to cure my loneliness would not be a good thing and not fair for the other person. Hope you feel better!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ohh...and jobs are so hard to find right now, I know! Good luck
Old 04-19-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I am alone, however, I am not lonely. Happiness and contentment come from within, it is not derived from being with another.

A person can be in a room with a 100 people and still feel lonely, it is an inside job.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I suggest reading this..Osho on Aloneness and Loneliness, Osho Quotes on Aloneness, aloneness is positive
Old 04-20-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Being alone doesn't have to be lonely.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'd rather be lonely than terrified. I'd rather be sad because I've got no company than sad because I'm wondering where the f*ck he's got to this time.
I struggle with alone/lonely too. Right now though I can accept lonely. It's not great but it's ok. Its better than living with a crazy addict.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I never felt so lonely in my life, as I did with an active alkie passed out for the night at 6:30 p.m. What a waste.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was more lonely when I was with the EXABF - he was either drinking, detoxing or on the road to the next relapse.

Now that I live by myself, I realize that I am far from alone-I have friends, family, good neighbours and a cuddly puppy and a whole pile of gratitude for those things in my life. That along with the fact that I am learning to like myself all over again - that I don't have to be part of a couple to be someone, that by myself I am just fine.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linkmeister View Post
I was more lonely when I was with the EXABF - he was either drinking, detoxing or on the road to the next relapse.
^ this! Lonely and stressed constantly dealing with door 1,2 or 3.