He Loves the bottle more than me

Old 04-17-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by willpower12 View Post
I want to still make it work... This is so hard! Should I reach out at least to talk?
I guess -- to let him know you're there if he needs you. A morning would be best. But please do remember that you telling him he's an alcoholic or has a problem is only likely to annoy him. For him to ever change he's got to reach that conclusion himself. Good luck!

Old 04-17-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Saturday I left my HFA who is in denial. He made it clear to me that I had to choose: to accept him as is or not.

So I did. I packed up while he was out, left him a long letter telling him I loved and accepted him but can't accept the bottle. And I left.
You say you want to make it work. Does that mean you are ready to accept the bottle now? Accept his drinking?

Be very clear with yourself when making these decisions. If you go back nothing has changed. You are not going back to a man that will suddenly see the light. You will not be going back to the time before addiction consumed your relationship. You will be going back to exactly what you left. Is this really what you want? Be sure you are going back to realty, not a fantasy born of wishful thinking, rose colored glasses, or heartache.

There is no work to be done. He has been crystal clear - he is not going to stop drinking. This isn't about making it work. This is about accepting and agreeing to a life with an active alcoholic. It is a hard life - and it gets harder.