Cousin dying too young from Alcohol

Old 04-12-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cousin dying too young from Alcohol

Hi,

I haven't posted in a while but it seems I can't get away from alcoholism. I come here mainly because my bf is alcoholic, but recently my concerns are focused more on my 32 year old cousin.

He was hospitalized about a month ago after extrememly heavy drinking and perscription drug use over the past 10 years. My family knew he had a problem but did not know of the extent. He would hide his binges and not drink too much in front of us. He has alcoholic induced hepatitis, which led to liver failure, and after 3 weeks his kidneys started to fail. I went to visit him about a week and 1/2 ago and I never saw anyone so yellow. I have seen jaundiced people before, but he was literally the color of mustard. It is very scary to see the end stages of alcoholism in someone so young.

He was discharged from the hospital and sent to a rehab facility in FL, the only one willing to take him with his medical condition. He only lasted there 2 days before they took him to the hospital where he is now. We were just informed they will be moving him to hospice care, as he will not be able to survive long enough to get the liver transplant. At this point we hope he can somehow come back to PA before he dies so that he does not die alone in FL.

I hate this disease. I know we focus on how hurt we are by it, how to live regardless of what they do, and how terrible the alcoholic and their behavior is - but this is a deadly disease that can and will kill an otherwise healthy person at age 32. It is sickening to me. I thank god every night that I was not a male born into my family, as every one of them has addiction problems. Had I been a boy, I would probably be causing someone on this forum to post.

Thanks for listening.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Shirt))) - I'm so very sorry. I lost a cousin this past August from liver failure. He had contacted hepatitis C while shooting up heroin, something our uncle introduced him to at 17 years old (major dysfunction on that side of the family).

He had turned his life around, but it was too late. I'm an RA, and I truly hate addiction. My prayers are with you, your cousin, and all who love him.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-12-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Really sorry to read this
Old 04-12-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear this. Please take care and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

yes, i agree, the disease does suck...i lost my cousin of 32 with a drug over dose or ? SORRY for your loss
Old 04-12-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow...so sorry to read this
Old 04-12-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I am sorry, I feel your pain...my cousin is also dying due to his drinking and smoking...his last few years have been hell on earth...and yet...he continues to drink and smoke...makes no sense to me...as my previous threads have said "He has a death wish".
I accept that..it is his decision.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

shirt423,

I am so sorry to hear this. God, liver failure is awful. I am thinking of you and your cousin.
In my family addiction is an equal opportunity destroyer.

Beth
Old 04-13-2012, 05:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I don't think he will be making it back to PA, but his mother is on her way there and his aunt coincidentally had a trip planned not too far away from where he is and has been with him the past two days.

I just wish I could see him again, but I don't think that will happen. Aside from being a compulsive liar and manipulator, he was always extremely smart and funny and we have so many great memories together. He made us laugh all of the time. This truely is heartbreaking, I hate that so many of us are facing or will be facing this in the future. His dad died at 44 from alcoholism, and he is dying at 32. It is just hard to accept.

Thanks for the support.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am so sorry. My cousin died in her early 40s a couple of years ago from liver failure, too. I"m sorry for what you are all going through.