What to expect with detox

Old 04-12-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to expect with detox

This is my first post here and I know little about alcoholism so forgive me if I ask dumb questions.

My D tells me that her BF is in detox for alcoholism. He is in his fifites and was a drug addict between many stints in prison. Supposedly he goes to NA or AA and is being treated with suboxone for his opiate issues.

According to my D, his suboxone doc recently found alcohol in his urine and he blew a 2.8 on a breatholyzer. At the time he did not feel drunk although he told the doc he drinks maybe 3-5 pints of wine per day. D says he has been taking a benzo to sleep at night as well. On top of this, he smokes pot and cigarettes. My D lives with him and did not think that he had such a serious problem but apparently he does.

I am wondering how long an alcohol detox takes and what to expect after he gets home. He has never been mean to my D but I would think that he may not feel so great when he gets out assuming he completes the detox.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

The immediate, physical, alcohol withdrawal is probably 2-4 days. However, his situation is more complex because he is on suboxone AND taking benzos to sleep, smoking pot and guzzling booze. Showing up to see a suboxone Dr. with a .24 BAC isn't too good of an idea.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SaraM

It's not pretty. This is how it went for me... I did this at home with do medicaition.

Day 1 - ( well kind of day one) I did have a shot in am to calm my nerves. Did nothing for me. Woke up with a head ache from Hell. Started throwing up and had diarrhea. I threw up probably about 8 times that day. I was really shakey. Super depressed and anxious. I cried on and off through out the day. I felt like I was going to have a panic attack. The depression I was feeling was like someone close to me just passed away. I couldnt talk to any of my family over the phone without crying like a baby. So tired and had no energy. I sleep a lot this day. Hard time staying focused when I was awake

Day 2 - Still woke up feeling so anxious and dpressed. Still crying off and on through out the day. Felt like I can't do this, its to much. My head ache got better. I was able to keep fluids down. Hads diarrhea Still did not want to eat anything. Went to sleep woke up a lot throughout the night. Had bad violent dreams. Night sweats and chills. Super hot one min super cold the next. Hard time staying focused Felt better than the day before but still felt like poop.

Day 3 - Stil very anxious. Feeling guilty and ashamed. I finally was hungry and ate, just to throw it all up, this was later in the evening. Still had diarrhea felt sick to my stomach all night. Cried 1 time this day. Felt better than day 2

Day 4 - This is today. Woke up feeling much better. I ate like a normal person. Was not as tired. I feel SOOOO much better. No crying no feeling anxious still a little sad when I think too much. No thowing up and no diarrhea.

I need to read this everytime I think about drinking again that was hell. You would think that being physically would be the worst part NOT FOR ME. It was the mental part, feeling so anxious like my world was over and I had nothing to live for no more. That feeling like I had just lost a loved one. That was what was hardest.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My XABF was in detox for 10 days. He was a mess when he went in and slept for almost 7 days. They discontinued his detox meds and vitamins the day before he was released. He was an emotional wreck when he got out and cried the whole way home. At least he was no longer vomiting or sick to his stomach and his blood pressure was back to normal. He was not in good shape when he got home but he had been through 4 detoxes in one year and it gets worse with each detox so his situation may be real different than someone else's.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks. My D detoxed off heroin in jail last year and your descriptions sound like what she went through. Hopefully she will be able to deal with him when he gets back.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This man is over 50, smokes pot and cigarettes, his baseline BAC is .27, also takes benzos and is taking subs for opiates.
Taking one benzo to sleep, okay, no. Maybe he thinks he is taking one, but unless someone sober is counting I don't believe that. But that is not what you asked about.

Is your daughter in his age group?
I don't think she should have to deal with this mess at all. But, that is her choice.
As long as we breathe there is hope, but good god he is close to death.
If prison time, and rehabs have not reached him yet, I hope this does it.

Beth
Old 04-12-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How is your daughter doing EJG?
:ghug3

Beth
Old 04-12-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hate to put a dose of reality into this post, but here goes. I seriously doubt this man will go through with the detox. Just think about it, I mean he's ingesting just about everything except heroin/cocaine.

One thing leads to another, so he'd have to give up his shopping cart all at once. Good luck with that.

If this man is really serious he needs real treatment. The at home thing is easy to quit, and can be very dangerous. Please keep this in mind.

Best of luck to you, it can be a very bumpy ride. And while I'm not an addict (for real) I've been around it my entire life. I've seen the good, bad, ugly, and dead.

I do know a few who have beaten back the devil, but it was usually one devil.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Honestly I pray for both my D and the BF.

D is still in active addiction, shooting heroin but does not seem as sick as she was last year befoire she got caught and went to prison for a few months. She is 23 soon to be 24. I have avoided meeting her BF. By her account he has had his share of addiction, consequences, remorse, and efforts towards recovery.

I know that he maintains a clean home where he lets her live, he cooks, he drives her around, he cared for her cat while she was in jail, he put money on her books in jail, talked to her frequently, and picked her up from prison when they released her. She stole thousands from him at the height of her addiction and although he expects the money repaid, he hasn't been physically abusive. D says he is a loan shark but who knows what else he may do to make ends meet. D sells herself for drug money but BF is not pimping, just passive about it. The entire situation is sad and beyond my comprehension.

I do have contact with my D and she seems to know better than to expect me to enable her in any way, so I am okay with talking to her. I still pray she will straighten out but I am resigned to the fact that it won't happen until she is ready.