Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

April 11 in the Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 04-12-2012, 01:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

April 11 in the Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Newcomers to Al-Aon often ask what makes the alcoholic drink. They seem more eager to know why than to learn why they allow another’s compulsive drinking to affect them so destructively.

The causes of the drinker’s desperate need to escape through alcohol aren’t easily explained, even by a trained psychiatrist.

We must accept the fact that the alcoholic suffers from a sickness. The family may be able to help him t want sobriety, by changing its way of thinking and acting. In Al-Anon, we learn how to conquer our own self-defeating attitudes.

TODAY’S REMINDER

What a blessed relief it is to be able to face our problems with confidence, hope and serenity. If we can recognize and admit our own shortcomings with increasing honesty, it opens the door to a new world for us, and often makes a seemingly miraculous change in the alcoholic as well.

“Let me free myself from the illusion that I can do anything directly to conquer the disease from which the alcoholic suffers. I need not suffer from another’s illness, if only I am willing to accept help for myself. This indirectly helps the alcoholic.”