My treasured Christmas Gift

Old 12-26-2003, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

My treasured Christmas Gift

I am wishing that everyone had a wonderful Christmas! I can say that it was a very emotioal time for me this year.
My children and I spent the holidays with my family. On Christmas Eve, I had spoken with my uncle, who is a recovering A, and had a painful yet wonderful talk. He told me that he had a gift for me, and to stop by and pick it up from his mailbox, as he wouldnt be home. I wasnt in any emotional state to be joyous this year, and actually if it wasnt for my kids, couldve slept through Christmas.
Anyway, I stopped at his house, and there was a book in the mailbox, "The Language Of Letting Go". I brought it home, and had a hard time opening the book! Just didnt want to. This morning, I decided today was the day I would open it up to the beginning.
I was actually scared of reading it! Can you believe that?! My family has showered my children and myself with wonderful gifts this year, but this book, from a family member has meant more to me than everything I received.
I have only read a fraction of the book so far, and the peace and calming effect its had on me is immeasurable. Words cant explain it unless youve read it.
My ah is "supposedly" on a road to recovery. We have spoken a few times over the holidays, but, I will be his first critic, and continue to have doubts of his intentions. I have alot of built up anger and resentment, which i have carried within me for a long time. I am now realizing its ok to feel these things, and that I dont need to feel guilty for my feelings. How I deal with them is up to me.
The hospital in which he's receiving his treatment has requested for me to come down for some type of meeting?! I will probably go, but have decided, that their still needs to be a seperation between my ah and I. I need to heal myself, and I dont feel right now that either of us can do that together. I have lost myself and who I am over the last 12 years, and I need to find myself again.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a great gift!

Isn't it wonderful when someone gives you exactly what you needed?
Peace,
Gabe
Old 12-26-2003, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a wonderful gift. And how brave of you to open it up!!!

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 12-26-2003, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

How cool! I have read that book and it helped alot! Around here it is one of the most recommended!

Hugs!
JT
Old 12-26-2003, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

That is my favourite recovery book!!! I have two copies, one I keep at home and one I take to work (when I work). Whenever I start to feel stressed or the codie alarm goes off, I just grab that book and read.

Your uncle is a wonderful person, and you are truly blessed.

hugs
Ann