From a family of alcs

Old 04-09-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

From a family of alcs

Just wondering how people get by family events and everything if you are part of big drinker family. I am the youngest of the clan and get picked on sometimes if I wouldn't keep up. Anyone share this experience?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not really YET. My gran on my dad's side was an alcoholic. Same with most of her siblings. My dad is/was. My gran on my mom's side is. My mom was at one point. Her brothers are. I'm only recently of age but I'm sure I will be able to relate soon
Old 04-10-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

You can remove yourself from toxic people and toxic events. Even if you are related to them.

Since you are early in your sobriety, I recommend staying away from family functions that will include lots of alcohol consumption.

Later when you have lots of sober time and recovery tools, you might try attending early and leaving early. But don't be surprised if you discover, these family drunk fests aren't as much fun as you remembered them being.

And if anyone gives you a hard time:

Remember-

"What other people think of me is none of my business" CatsPajamas, SR Moderator
Old 04-10-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Many of the people on my mother's side of the family are alcoholics or heavy drinkers. I just don't drink much at all. At family get togethers, they don't tend to be pushy toward those of us who don't really drink, so I guess I'm lucky there!

I think just calmly and repetitively say "No thanks" as often as needed until they finally get the message.