Is it worth going to court?

Old 04-05-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it worth going to court?

I tried doing this last month, but the case got thrown out because the hospital he was detoxing from a .413 BAC didn't feel he would benefit from treatment because he didn't want to go. Seems a little backasswards to me... So if I don't want to go you're not going to make me? Awesome!! I DON'T WANT TO GO!!

They have something in SC called a Petition for Involuntary Commitment where any adult in the state of SC can fill out this petition for anyone in their lives that they feel is chemically dependent on a substance to the point where they are not able to think for themselves. If sentenced, he could go to mandatory inpatient treatment up to 90 days and then up to 1 year of mandatory outpatient services.

Now, for those of you that don't know the story, he's done much just in the last 7 months that would warrant this being a good case for him to go to treatment involuntarily. (DUI, still drinking and driving, lost job, multiple burns, head split open, damaging his vehicle, .413 level of alcohol 3 weeks ago, etc).

I'm wondering if anyone has gone through this process, and if it had worked for them. My worry is he's going to say "I need treatment, but I don't want to go to treatment" excuse again, and it'll be another waste of time. I can see where the statute can be interpreted like that, but he really shouldn't have a say, IMHO. Has anyone had to go to treatment that wasn't interested in staying sober and had it happen anyway? I mean, that is the whole point...
Old 04-05-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A lovely caring broken healing heart...

Yes, this is the utter last resort that I am even thinking of being involved in. I'm not even sure this will work, but this is the last ditch effort in all respects. We've been telling him that the family and I were planning on going back to court on the 20th, so I think we should follow through on that.