SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Ptsd (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/253279-ptsd.html)

Florence 04-04-2012 05:55 AM

Ptsd

Is anyone else here dealing with PTSD?

Just got the diagnosis, which may explain the last 15-20 years of emotional chaos, pre- and post-RAH. Wanted to know if anyone else in the group is experiencing this.

TCB5568 04-04-2012 06:20 AM

How did they diagnose this? What are the symptoms if you don't mind me asking...

Florence 04-04-2012 06:27 AM

It has been floated before as a possibility for me, but I resisted. I've been being treated for depression and anxiety on and off for some years with not much improvement.

List of symptoms: Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

I don't have any of the intrusive memory issues, but hit quite a few on avoidance and anxiety. In women, it looks a lot like ADD, flightiness, irritability, inability to get your *hit together, always feeling out of control and then overcompensating, anxiety loops.

LifeRecovery 04-04-2012 06:35 AM

I have been diagnosed and treated for PTSD. The part that was amazing for me on this journey is that

I did not have an actual big trauma that I could fall back on as my issue....but repeated small traumas can add up over time.

When we are in trauma we have the memory but not a "time stamp" to go with the memory that means we relive it over and over when there is any trigger.

I also was resistant for a long time but feel safer in the world as I have gotten support. EFT, and a therapy called Hakomi has worked for me. I think EMDR is great but have not actually experienced it.

I found this link helpful.

Psychological / Emotional Trauma: an overview

TCB5568 04-04-2012 07:07 AM

I was wondering because I have also been treated for anxiety and depression without any therapy though..I am so darn irritable, angry, overwhelmingly guilt stricken over every little thing. I am also easily startled to the point its embarassing sometimes. I also have avoidance issues obviously, feel emotionally numb and have trouble concentrating. My hands shake a lot and have anxiety attacks quite frequently since I was 15 yrs. Old. I have an AH and 3 kids. Don't want to take up your thread with my problems but wanted to post about this for a while myself

TCB5568 04-04-2012 07:09 AM

Just diagnosed with TMJ bcuz of jaw pain and throat pain from clenching so hard during my sleep...

Florence 04-04-2012 07:38 AM

General feeling of there being no safe places, that I would always feel alone, trying to stave off anxiety or just falling into the anxiety loop. In my session I mentioned how I was on this one FFA forum online (heh) and how someone called me out on controlling behavior, and how I could see how it as controlling but how I felt so out of control and untethered.

I did not have an actual big trauma that I could fall back on as my issue....but repeated small traumas can add up over time... I also was resistant for a long time but feel safer in the world as I have gotten support. EFT, and a therapy called Hakomi has worked for me. I think EMDR is great but have not actually experienced it.
I have one big trauma as a teenager, and then another 3-4 over the years that reinforced the feelings of alone and unsafe. The thing is that I've been through treatment through all of it before and felt like I was managing well -- I even did EMDR and it was transformative for me. I'm wondering if the last couple of years, dealing with RAH and the fallout of his drinking when he was still active, hasn't stirred some of the old *hit up. Or if I wasn't as well as I thought I was.

wanttobehealthy 04-04-2012 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Florence (Post 3348520)
Is anyone else here dealing with PTSD?

Just got the diagnosis, which may explain the last 15-20 years of emotional chaos, pre- and post-RAH. Wanted to know if anyone else in the group is experiencing this.

My T diagnosed me with PTSD maybe a year ago. I am on a mild anti depressant and he has recently suggested I might need to take something for anxiety.

He said that it is a predictable/expected reaction to trauma and that living with an abusive alcoholic and the chaos that he created (AH) is a recipe for PTSD. I also grew up in a chaotic, alcoholic type home but there was no drinking (the behaviors however of my parents were classic alcoholic and I see D6 as myself as a kid and it's distressing).

Understandably, lately I have been having a much harder time but I find that it ebbs and flows and is worse some times than others.

theuncertainty 04-04-2012 01:59 PM

I was diagnosed with PTSD in 2010. I'd gone in to talk to one counselor, a short series of sessions through the company's EAP, wanting to learn how to communicate with AXH. She started working with me about AXH's addition and my reaction to it and before we got to the end of our sessions, asked me to consider continuing to see another counselor. So I did.

I've been seeing a counselor to work through the relationship with AXH and a psychiatrist to see if medication would help even out my issues with anxiety and depression.

Additionally, I've been trying to work through the "I Can't Get Over It! - a Handbook for Trauma Survivors" by Aphrodite Matsakis

amy55 04-04-2012 04:03 PM

Also diagnosed with PTSD, situational depression, anxiety and panic attacks. Never had this till I met my ex. It's complex PTSD. Just being beaten down all the time, walking on eggshells, afraid to speak in your own home. Afraid to do anything, but know that you have to, or you will be beaten down for not doing anything.

When you go to a mall, and are afraid that you will here something, so you disassociate, you feel like you aren't even there, why, bc you are afraid, btdt, don't want to do it again, so you hide yourself a little at a time.There are many triggers, depends on what you went thru. I can only talk about what I went thru. Going to weddings or family things, and just trying to hide, because you got dressed up that day. and etc, etc....... Mine got the worst when the fight or flight mechanism kicked in, and I decided to fight. No longer cared about my life, just wanted it over, done with.

The startled responses, its somewhat of a joke with PTSD. All I need to get an adrenline rush is to "make toast". Will send you flying against a wall.

But nothing to joke about. I have been divorced for over a year, didn't see my ex in about 3, and still deal with this day in, day out.

I can't take anti-depressants, brings up hope, they actually make me feel more jittery.

My ex was, is an alcholic, also had a personality disorder

foodie1 04-05-2012 06:43 AM

Does anyone here mind if I ask a question? I'm normally on the alcoholics threads and I'm trying to learn about PTSD. My sister in law was diagnosed with PTSD a few years back and normally takes anti-anxiety meds as well as smokes marijuana for the anxiety (for the record I'm completely against the mj bit, but it's none of my business)

She's having a really hard time right now and is alienating all of us with her anger and hostility. We're trying to be understanding, but it's hard. Can anybody help me understand what's the best way to treat a person in an acute PTSD phase? (I totally made that phrase up) She's going to therapy but she says it's not b/c she needs help, it's to learn more about PTSD. Maybe that's a start?

I sure appreciate any insight and helpful advice as to how to handle the hostility. It's triggering my alcoholism and anxiety like crazy!!!

AntoinetteP 04-05-2012 08:12 AM

I was dxed with a form of PTSD back in '84, and it very much interfered with my life until just a few years ago, with tons and tons of therapy and meds. I'm told I'll have to stay on antidepressants for the rest of my life because I am 'hardwired' for depression by my hellish past.

Before I had a better handle on it, it made it difficult to deal with the various A's in my life because they're bad behavior would trigger my own 'fight or flight' response. That doesn't happen so much anymore because I came to learn my triggers and how to deal with them without losing it completely.

It's possible to get better, but it takes a ton of work and determination.

Tuffgirl 04-05-2012 08:53 AM

I don't have a diagnosis, but did begin taking a mild anti depressant when the crap hit the fan a few years back. It was very helpful! I have thought PTSD was part of it all, on the occasions that I react way out of character and control. How could it not affect us negatively?

LifeRecovery 04-05-2012 08:56 AM

I think they have found there to be a third one of the fight, flight piece, but one called freeze also (which is where I tend to reside).

I have not read this book yet, but have heard a lot of good things about it from knowledgable people. "Waking the Tiger" by Steven Levine.

Florence 04-05-2012 09:49 AM

I found this today, which is really helpful explaining how this happens:

https://www.ptsdforum.org/c/wiki/belief-systems/

Sadly, I see a lot of myself in here. Resigning to the possibility that this is for real. On the one hand, ugh. On the other hand, at least that means we have a way of categorizing what I'm feeling that has a recommended line of treatment. I'm sick of feeling like crap.