Things that make me happy

Old 03-29-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things that make me happy

I've just come out of a period where I've ready have to grasp to find anything to be grateful for -- not that it hasn't been there, I've just been... feeling like I drove off into the ditch for a while.

But today, I'm grateful
  • because doing my taxes, I can say "Oh well, I didn't keep track of the medical expenses and I can't find my check stubs -- bummer" instead of having a stomach ache about not being able to find everything and have an AH yelling at me about it.
  • because the snow is slowly melting and there's hope of a new spring
  • because my children are doing remarkably better than they have been
  • because my AH is staying out of my life, for the most part
  • because I still have a roof over my head and food on my table, and even though I've committed to a fairly large investment for one of the kids, I'll be able to feed us this month, too
  • because I'm often at peace
  • because when I'm not at peace, I can always come here and be reminded of what I need
  • because the headcold I have isn't one of the awful ones, just one of the ones that makes you feel justified going to bed early with an extra blanket
  • because I have choices and I enjoy feeling that I have choices, and
    sometimes I choose to NOT do something JUST BECAUSE I CAN!

And those are just some of the things I'm grateful for today.
What are you grateful for?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Lillamy)) - gotta love those extra blankies

I'm grateful that even though my job doesn't pay a whole lot, I LOVE it and get to meet a lot of people.
For my 5+ years in both recoveries...A and codie.
A roof over my head, food in my belly, and gas in my car....oh yeah, and the car is PAID for - first one since I began recovery.
For all the people I've met through SR...the family I never knew I had

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-30-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am grateful for a lot of things in my life, but find its the simplest little moments that make me the most happy.

I took the puppy to work with me yesterday so we could visit the dog park at lunchtime. She did so well off leash around all those people and other off-leash dogs! And she did reasonably well on leash, too. It was a warm spring day, the ducks were out at the lake, and no moose run-ins.

Just made my day. Think I'll do it again today! ; )
Old 03-30-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm grateful that I have a house to live in, in a beautiful place and a warm climate.
I have enough food to eat and clean water to drink. I have electricity and running water. I'm blessed with good health. I'm grateful for my animals and the unconditional love they give. And for all of my friends, in real life and cyber space.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SOBERWRLDRCDPOWER

I'm grateful that it's friday and i get to spend a long wonderful loving weekend with my wife and labradoodle!!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

I am grateful that I can choose what I will do when I will do it.

I am grateful that spring is here and my balcony garden is looking gorgeous and is almost 100% planted.

I am grateful that by the end of next month all my credit cards will be completely paid off and I'll still have some left over in savings.

I am grateful that I started wearing dresses and skirts to work, because I feel great.

I am grateful to have a boyfriend who loves me for me, enjoys spending time with me without rushing around, doesn't pressure me into anything, and is very understanding right now with my whole I'm-really-clingy/I-need-lots-of-space roller coaster of emotions right now as I'm trying to work through the death of an uncle (and also understands when some of these emotions of loss turn into clingy fears of losing him too without any currently justifiable reason behind them).

I am grateful to have friends who understand me and the things I'm still working through, and will occasionally make up silly jokes about things that trigger me because they understand that laughing about them helps me work through them.

I am grateful to have two cats to cuddle, an apartment that is becoming more and more my own each weekend as I reorganize and donate things, a closet that is growing, this new-found sense of adventure to starting to wear some of my shoe collection again, and the collection of scented candles in my closet.

Oh. And I am also grateful that my lead and the other two people who are out this week will be returning to work next week, because I like having the option to take off or leave early or come in late when I feel like it, and with so many people out these last two weeks my manager was joking about how I'm only allowed to take off if its life threatening and contagious, but it was one of those jokes that was almost true.
At this point, though, I can leave when I want after lunch without feeling too guilty about it, because we're ahead of things again and normalcy returns next week. I survived!
Old 03-30-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am grateful for my children, my grandaughter, my home, job,car, cabin, wonderful boyfriend, family, spring, money, health, but above all my higher power that brought recovery to my life so I can enjoy all these wonderful gifts he has given me.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am grateful for the fact that even though I'm 58 I got my fat ass off the couch and started running again. I'm doing 2 to 3 miles a day and I am feeling soooo much better because of it.

Your slightly thinner friend,
Old 03-30-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

now that's inspiring, Mike. Way to go.......
Old 03-30-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm grateful for:
  • My amazing, smart, and kind DS, who is coming out of his shell more and more to be the sweet, goofy kid he is.
  • My family for being so caring and supportive, both IRL and SR.
  • My lovely reliable, nondescript Subaru that looks like every other car on the road here.
  • My NEW HOME - a little chalet style - on a 1/2 acre!!!
  • Feeling sore and tired after each day spent working, cleaning and moving into it.
  • The fact that AXH can give neither my car or home away to one of his drinking/using friends. (Mine, mine, mine - no one else's. )
  • That I got most of my things moved before the roads started turning to a muddy mess.
  • It's Spring!! The sun is here longer each day and it's been in the 40's during the days!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm mostly ticked off and crabby today so this is going to be a very good exercise :nod: I am getting the opportunity to re-frame some of my grievances. Much needed.

Things that make me happy.

Two kids done with science projects and we get to go to the science fair tonight. They did their own work and they did a fantastic job. I will attend this evening and take my dad with me, my aunt will come, and siblings will happily attend as well. My dad's days are numbered and I am thankful everything is falling into place for him to enjoy a few more of them with his family. We will all be stone cold sober. My children will also be proud to have their family attend. The weather is nice.

I created a bit of a mess trying to fix a way to make everyone happy. I made a mistake (well a few) but it is over and nothing more for me to do. In the scope of things it is not a big deal. Right now, this instant, I am going to let it go and focus on the good stuff.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just returned from a trip abroad which made me grateful to live in the U.S. Grateful for a clothes dryer, napkins and tissues to buy in the store, traffic that is not insane and police to stop traffic violators, no smoking in most businesses around me, seatbelt laws, no mosque blasting prayers at all hours, gasoline costs that make driving possible even for the middle class, a less classed society than in many other countries, etc. I didn't realize how much I took for granted so this trip opened my eyes to that.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm grateful that I get to spend my days helping my toddler grow into the wonderful, hilarious little person she is becoming.
I'm grateful that tonight I don't have to sit awake in fear wondering if and when her dad is going to come home and what mood he will be in.
I'm grateful I don't have to sleep with my purse under my pillow and my phone in my hand.
I'm grateful that tomorrow I know I don't have to deal with him if I choose not to.
I'm very very grateful to Families Anonymous. I'm not 'there' yet or even close, but I am making progress and I have met some incredible, inspirational women.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Grateful to get paid for doing work I love, for the friends that fill so many hours with laughter and joy, for the fact that my 14yo son wants to move back in with me now that AH is out of the picture, for my darling dilapidated house and yard, for being (today, at least) okay with the fact that loving doesn't mean getting to keep forever.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I am grateful for the gift of life

I am grateful for the leap of faith I am taking switching careers-terrifying but also exciting

I am grateful for the OUNCE of faith I got in HP to get me through this transition

Grateful for SR and my off topic journaling about my job making me realize I have been in constant state of stress & misery.

Grateful for the support that finally made me realize I do not deserve this.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i'm grateful for Spring arriving.

i'm grateful to my mother who never lets me down.

i'm grateful that i have a garden and can plant vegetables.

i'm grateful for my little peaceful apartment.

i'm grateful that i have nice neighbors.

i'm grateful to HP for lighting my path.

i'm grateful for the juicer my mom bought me, i use it more than my cooker.

i'm grateful i can walk to the ocean.

i'm grateful to all the prophets and seers who brought the message of Truth to earth.

i'm grateful for all the fruits and vegetables in my refrigerator.

i'm grateful to SR family, for all the support along the way.

i'm grateful to be strong and fit.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm grateful for my cat who has shown me unconditional love for 16 years

I'm grateful for where I live and have a choice of whether to go to the beach or go hiking in the mountains

I'm grateful for my wonderful sister

I'm grateful that I am able to buy food, drive my paid for car, have a roof over my head, plant some vegetables, fuss over my plants, read a book, call a friend.

And especially grateful for the peace I have now without the insanity of being with an active addict.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm grateful for the wonderful and positive people that I have in my life.
I'm grateful that I have two amazing children.
I'm grateful that I am no longer where I was.
I'm grateful that I am an awesome job that I enjoy.