curious...

Old 03-29-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

curious...

I hear all these stories of people drinking till they have seizures or end up in the hospital. My AH has not done this and i wonder if he jist has a high tolerance or is this still yet to happen? He drinks 12-30 beers a day every day. sometimes probably more.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

depends on how long he's been drinking. My X started with beers, then moved to whiskey now and then and eventually vodka was his water of the day. Mine started when we were young and progressively with age got worse. No one escapes the outcome of alcoholism unless you stop.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hes been drinking this way for probably 15 years at least....but just beer...but sometimes that malt beer with higher alcohol content and a lot of times tall beers.....
Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mine drank that way for 15 or 20 years. Never got a DUI, never ended up in the hospital. His behavior was still unacceptable.

L
Old 03-29-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mine was in the ER multiple times, once we thought she was dead. She has been in detox and rehab multiple times as well. Give it time, he will get there if he keeps drinking.

She started of with wine, then vodka and then vodka and xanax.

After rehab and detox we thought she had quit drinking but unknown to us she had started to abuse ambien. Then ambien and booze and another detox, rehab. This time I moved out. I've been gone 10 months now and finally starting divorce proceedings.

We had been married 36 years. It took 15 to 20 before the bottom really fell out.

Your friend,
Old 03-29-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it's probably along the same line as smokers who smoke for 40 years and never get emphysema or cancer, there is a wide variety in how drinking hits each drinker.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mine never had seizures while drinking, he had his seizure when he tried to detox on his own. He ended up hospitalized for 2 weeks and picked up drinking again when released, although on a lower level.

Before hospital, he was drinking vodka starting with his morning coffee and continuing all day. Somehow he remained moderately functional and employed all throughout. Since hospital he starts drinking as soon as he gets home in the evening, and after 2 p.m. on weekends. And still he is moderately functional, no slurring, abuse, passing out; just not "there".
Old 03-29-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My XAH was almost never falling down, lie in a puddle of puke, drunk. He was a big guy, at 6'2, 190 lbs, and he could take his liquor. When we met, he drank LOTS...Jack and coke, beers, shots, anything + drugs of any kind. He eventually settled down to 2 liters of beer a day on weekdays and more on week-ends. He would get buzzed, argumentative, loud and more abusive than usual, and his hands shook perpetually, and he blacked out when he combined sleeping pills with the booze...but there were never seizures.

I left before there were. I assume that's where he's headed.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My husband drank for 20+ years. He never got so much as a speeding ticket much less a DUI. He never wrecked a car although he drove way over the limit many times. He never had a seizure, was not overweight, doesn't have any major health issues. The fact remains that alcoholism ultimately cost him his wife, four children, and a career. He is 50 years old and has no family, no house, no career, no reliable vehicle, no reliable income. He has one thing - a future - it is up to him what he does with it. Just like it is up to me what I do with mine. I decided to start acting like it.

My dad smoked for 60 years and was fine. Now he has lung cancer.

Sometimes I would get real stuck in my marriage - wanting some big 'sign' that I had permission to leave. I used to have thoughts like "If he would just cheat on me." or when things were very dark and I was very locked in that prison of my OWN making I would think "Just hit me one time. Then I can walk right out that door."

That is a terrible place to be. I wanted out so badly and wanted permission. However, we give ourselves permission. Those things never happened but now I'm not even certain if it would have been enough anyway because I had the key all along and wasn't using it.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When my brother died at 38 I asked our GP why him? why when I've seen the same 'old' men stagger from pub to pub for years?
He couldn't really answer and said it just affects people differently.
My brother never had siezures but he did have hallucinations from time to time, which were quite upsetting to witness too.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My RAH was a secret drinker. We drank together, but I never saw how much he drank behind my back. If you'd asked me then, I thought he just relied a little too much on alcohol to cope with daily life. We fought a lot. He slept a lot throughout the day. His memory was poor. His hands shook. Hangovers were commonplace. He never got a DUI, lost a job, or fell down from drunkenness. The "falling down drunk" signs of alcoholism were never present.

What I didn't know then that I know now, as the truth slowly came out, is that there were seizures, car accidents, traffic tickets, stern conversations at work, blowups with strangers, vodka hidden all over the house and his car, and futile attempts to detox himself over and over with terrible results. A lot of this happened after I was in bed for the night, which explained why he slept (passed out) on the couch most nights. He was slick enough to hide it -- until he wasn't.

Alcoholism is progressive. What I've learned is that it doesn't have to hit every bullet point to classify, and it doesn't matter if we label it or not. What matters is whether or not the behavior is acceptable to you. If it isn't, it's time to ask yourself some hard questions about what you want and how to get it.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've wondered about this too. I wonder how my A has made it this long. He drinks every day, most of the day. When he's not drinking he's sleeping. He falls down all the time. Fell down yesterday and hit his head on a rock-again! This is the fourth time in the past six weeks. His head and face are full of scars, scabs and bruises. I wonder how long he can keep on the way he's going.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mine was pretty functional for years until all of a sudden he got very sick and the hangovers were replaced by severe withdrawals every morning. It would take him about two hours every morning to be able to keep the vodka down without it coming back up so that the withdrawal symptoms would subside. The last two years of his life were pretty bad. It took years for him to end up in end stage alcoholism, but it did happen.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I guess its different for everyone and I believe my AH Would have seizures if he tried to detox on his own and I know he throws up a lot of mornings...I do think he's hiding a lot of the sickness from me amd he does pass out and sleep a lot on and off up half the night trying to get back to sleep...that I do know..
Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I guess its different for everyone and I believe my AH Would have seizures if he tried to detox on his own and I know he throws up a lot of mornings...I do think he's hiding a lot of the sickness from me amd he does pass out and sleep a lot on and off up half the night trying to get back to sleep...that I do know..
Old 03-29-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

The seizures happen most often when a alcoholic is detoxing & withdrawing from the poison. 20-30 beers is quite a bit & he is probably physically addicted to booze. My alcoholic relative use to drink that many beers but then he thought it was too much work throwing out the cans, running to bathroom, carrying cases of beer home ect..., he switch to Vodka.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The garage is so filled wih cans and recycle bins empty boxes....but he says he can't drink liquor...i've seen him fall out of chairs when he does...
Old 03-29-2012, 10:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Don't wait for him to drink himself to death. He might outlive you.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by TCB5568 View Post
The garage is so filled wih cans and recycle bins empty boxes....but he says he can't drink liquor...i've seen him fall out of chairs when he does...
Perhaps you can recycle the aluminum cans? You get about 50 cents a pound in my area. Does he think he is not an alcoholic because he "only drinks beer"? My god, 30 beers a day is a serious & dangerous amount. There is not a person alive who can drink that much & not suffer physical problems.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

He has admitted to having a problem to me but without going into much detail..he knows he has a problem don't know if he classisfies himself as an alcoholic. I've done a lot of research that says yes..lol. and he's abusive towards our kids and I guess I'm too afraid to stand up for us...I have a lot of work to do.....