Advice for a sibling?

Old 03-25-2012, 02:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice for a sibling?

My family has a lot of alcoholism in it. I am in AA. My Sister is also seeking support through Al-Anon. The problem is that there is a very limited choice of meetings in her area. That and she has a family of her own, so she doesn't have a large amount of free time.

Do Family & Friends attend Open AA Meetings when Al-Anon is not available?

Any other suggestions?

...Besides sending her here and therefore giving her access to all my posts. I love her, and am no longer hiding anything from her...total honesty...but I like keeping SR my own resource, for my own recovery. Sorry if that sounds selfish, but keeping SR's annonymity pure is important to me.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 02:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Shane, sorry I don't have any advice on AA-related stuff. But I wanted to say that keeping her out of SR is no way selfish - I read your posts, and this place is as good for you as it is for me. You can't have a sibling in here. That would be crazyland.

There are other recovery forums though - why don't you Google it and choose a couple for her to try out?

x

Last edited by stillsleeping; 03-25-2012 at 02:55 AM. Reason: messed up a word, what else? :)
Old 03-25-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I attend Al-Anon and open AA meetings in my area. But not the AA meetings my RAH attends unless he invites me specifically - its a respect thing.

But I have to say I learned way more about alcoholism from the mouths of AA folks and tons about how to change myself to deal with life problems better in the rooms of Al-Anon and here on this forum. For me, it was a great combination of resources.

There are also websites with podcasts and speaker tapes...just Google and you'll find lots of AA and Al-Anon materials online.

~T
Old 03-28-2012, 12:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks StillSleeping. I agree a sibling reading our inner most thoughts is too much. I only wish there was an SR alternative I could point her towards. I hope Im not breaking any rules by even just saying that. I did find a couple Al-Anon online meetings sites (chat rooms where meetings are held daily at specific times). But again, she has her family that keeps her busy...so we will see what happens.

Tuffgirl - Thx. Next time my Sister and I speak on this subject I will share your insight. A combo of both open AA & Al-Anon, may really help her...