Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

March 23 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Old 03-23-2012, 12:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

How often we hear it said at meetings that the alcoholic is a past master in the art of conniving and manipulating us to get his own way and get out of difficulties. But do we realize that we ourselves have often been guilty of the same fault? Haven’t we tried all sorts of tricks to outwit him – to make him stop drinking, to make him join AA: to make him go to more meetings, or go to fewer meetings? Am I being perfectly honest and fair when I meddle and manipulate our situation? Am I really letting the alcoholic live his own life, or am I still trying to be the boss?

TODAY’S REMINDER

Al-Anon principles set a pattern before me: to work on myself and to stop interfering with others. The words for this procedure are “hands off!”

“Attending to my own business will keep me from becoming a slave to a situation; that is why I will not get myself involved too deeply. This will set me free to work out my own salvation.”
Old 03-23-2012, 12:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Thanks Meredith. I need to be reminded to clean up my own backyard. Meddling is a product of fear and separation from my Higher Power. What I have found that really helps me stay out of the manipulation mode is to focus on helping another Al-anon. Hugs, Magic